Disconnection issues when connecting through a VPN

jorgenfreeman

This is a bit of a strange one. I was having some sudden connectivity issues recently, even in the demo scene, so I did a clean reinstall of everything opsive and PUN. I tried the demo scene again, but I was still having issues. Eventually I tried disabling my VPN, which resolved the issues completely. When I reenable it, the issues come back immediately, so I'm fairly confident that this is the cause. Is this a known issue, perhaps with PUN itself?

Here is a summary of the issues I get when connecting through a VPN, in a clean reinstall running the demo scene, UFPM version 2.3.4 confirmed in character manager, and latest clean reinstall of PUN:
  • When a new player tries to join the lobby, the instantiation event is not received by the new player. The new player's character is instantiated on the master, but not on the connecting client. Eventually, the master client times out and disconnects, leaving the connecting player in the room but with no character. The PUN logging indicates a substantial amount of resends after the client connects
  • Even when the master client is the only one in the lobby, timeout disconnects happen very easily with only a small amount of network traffic. E.g. attacking too many things at once, or rapidly tapping the left and right keys to trigger state change events.
As I said, both of these issues are completely resolved when the VPN is disabled. Any thoughts? VPNs are quite popular these days, so it's not something I can ignore, especially because the cause is not immediately obvious and sends the game into an unrecoverable state for connecting clients.

This does sound like it's an issue with PUN as the event transmission occurs before the add-on has a chance to do anything with it. I would try posting about it on the PUN support forum.