Disable Cursor issue + Crash in Unity 2020.2.2f1

SixTimesNothing

Hi all,

I've been experiencing an issue in Unity 2020.2.2f1 (Mac) where the Ultimate Character Controller Unity Input component starts failing to apply the Disable Cursor option correctly when running in the Editor (as in the cursor is visible after pressing play. Once this happens once, it won't revert to working correctly until a complete system restart (not just restarting Unity). Worse, sometimes when the cursor appears when the game is played in the Editor, clicking inside the Game window will hard crash the entire system – Unity cannot be stopped or force quit and it is impossible to switch to another application – the entire system becomes unresponsive and must be hard restarted. I never saw this prior to Unity 2020.2.2f1 and I do have the latest Ultimate Character Controller. Any idea if this is a known issue and if there is a workaround?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Justin, thank you for your reply. Sorry – I should correct part of the explanation there – the behaviour is more like an infinite script loop where it gets frozen on the one frame. The sound in the game keeps playing and there's nothing of note regarding a crash in the Editor.log file. I think because the cursor is locked by the script, but the script is in an infinite loop, I can't hit escape to regain control and have to restart the machine.

Are you able to reproduce it within a fresh project? I have been using 2020.2 off and off and haven't noticed any issues.

Part of the issue is that it's not consistently reproducible in the initial project – it happens very unpredictably. Today I have probably run the game 50-60 times and seen the freeze occur 4 times out of those.

I will try a fresh project. I have also removed the player from the scene and removed all the Opsive components and not seen the issue occur – but in all honesty that doesn't prove anything, as the issue is so intermittent!

I did some more searching and have a suspicion it's related to this: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...6.1046728481.1612875879-1970184459.1609848327

Perhaps some kind of conflict between this problem ^ and the UnityInput.cs code?

Good find. That does sound like it's related as UnityInput sets the cursor with that visible property. I guess we just need to wait for Unity to fix it.

It seems I can mitigate the risk of freezes my clicking in the Game window and using the keyboard shortcut to play in the Editor – so I will try that until there's a fix from Unity.