Custom inputs with New Input System (2D game w/ 4 directional movement)

scroogi

Hello! My 2d 4 directional character controller is set up with the new Unity input system, but it breaks when I import your Inventory solution and I can't for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I imported the integration with the new input system and followed the instructions here: https://opsive.com/support/documentation/ultimate-character-controller/integrations/input-system/

My character controller works fine with SendMessages and WASD inputs set up in the Actions menu. However, when I change the Action Map to the included Character Input file, it stops working. I have gone into this map and added a "Move" function mapped to WASD and "Interact" set to "E" (same as in my previous map). However, it doesn't seem like these events are picked up by my character controller anymore.

Can anyone help me figure out how to fix this? Or does anyone have any tips in general on how to make this work with a 2D game? I love the flexibility of this asset and I am really hoping I can get it to work ?

Thank you for your help!
?

My guess if it was working before and that changing to the ActionMaps from our integration breaks it, is that Unity is probably still trying to reference the input from your previous ActionMap.

You said you are using SendMessages for movement, in your Player Input component make sure you are referencing the correct Action Map.
Then remove and reassign all the SendMessages events in the inspector.

I would recommend you use our Input Action as an example to set yours up, I believe you can copy paste actions between maps.
Make sure you only use one Action Map for your game

Thank you so much for your help!

I didn't realize that the settings had not saved properly when I copy pasted the inputs from my other map, so I had to go back and select the right layout, which I wouldn't have realized without your help.

THANK YOU!! I am so glad I got this worked out ?