Cannot control Blitz with new input system

talkingheads

I can mount Blitz, but cannot give it any movement with the new input system - and cannot test out ride in the demo for the same reason and tbh its nuts that that is still the case now. I might be missing something, but there's nothing in the user guide that explains setting up a four legged character and can't understand why Blitz won't work like a humanoid does so assume there must be some code that is not allowing it to work with the new input system. Do I need to use another character controller if using new input system with four legged animals? HDRP, unity 2023.2, new input system.

thanks for any help on this matter.

The demo scene uses the input manager and is not setup for the input system so I would not test against that scene. Beyond that the docs for generic characters are here, and the input system integration is the same no matter if the character is humanoid or generic.

I know that, I don't understand why you have a demo which uses the old input system in 2024 but that's your choice, but it makes it really difficult to discuss aspects of the controller if there's no way of testing a working version. As such, the problem I have is that even if I use Blitz (with its demo animator rather than creating a new generic) it doesn't work, I can mount the horse and the horse stays idle, I can try and just use blitz straight (forget about riding ability) and I still cannot get it to recieve input from the new input system. I know how to set everything up and have been using the character controller with the new input system since version 2, I have just not needed to set up a four legged before. Have you actually had Blitz operational with the new input system? If so can you share a scene which works?

Until Unity makes the input system the default or the asset is installed as a true package with dependencies we will be using the input manager by default. There would be too many support requests from new users otherwise.

I tested out the demo scene awhile ago with the input system and Blitz worked. I don't have that scene anymore since it was just a test case. But there's really not anything different between the input system and input manager from the character perspective. The character just talks to the parent abstract PlayerInput class so it doesn't know what type of input you are using. I recommend starting by getting Blitz working as a regular player first without the ride ability and then you can get it working with the ride ability.