Behavior Designer guidance

matmalm

I have UCC v2 (I know that it's not supported but I just need some general guidance), Behavior Designer and the Movement Pack.

My agents (which are ghosts) are mostly performing the wandering behavior of the Movement Pack, however sometimes I want them to perform certain actions, ie. sitting in a chair, disappearing their skin and appearing their skin repeatedly.
Should this be manage in a separate script, inside the behavior designer or inside the abilities?

There's no one right way to design a behavior tree, and it depends a lot on what your overall goals are, but given that..

For that situation I would create an ability that manages those states. Your behavior tree can then start or stop that ability. While the skin change could be managed from a separate script, the sitting in a chair has to be its own ability since it is managing the animation/movement state of the character.

My agents (which are ghosts) are mostly performing the wandering behavior of the Movement Pack, however sometimes I want them to perform certain actions, ie. sitting in a chair, disappearing their skin and appearing their skin repeatedly.
Should this be manage in a separate script, inside the behavior designer or inside the abilities?
If you own USC this can be achieved very easily. I have made tasks for ai with USC, but haven't got around to releasing yet, I can send them to you if you own USC.

There's no one right way to design a behavior tree, and it depends a lot on what your overall goals are, but given that..

For that situation I would create an ability that manages those states. Your behavior tree can then start or stop that ability. While the skin change could be managed from a separate script, the sitting in a chair has to be its own ability since it is managing the animation/movement state of the character.
Thanks for the answer.
Just 2 questions:
- Those abilities then have to be on Start mode Manual as I'm calling them from the behavior designer?
- If the wander behavior handle movement, then why it's not an ability but rather a behavior?

If you own USC this can be achieved very easily. I have made tasks for ai with USC, but haven't got around to releasing yet, I can send them to you if you own USC.
I'll take a look :)

The way one of the tasks work maybe suitable, AI gets closest board source, sets desired seat, and can even fire the vehicle weapons at player. You don't have to do anything special, I haven't touched it in a while, but I can sure help you along the way and update it where need be if required.

- Those abilities then have to be on Start mode Manual as I'm calling them from the behavior designer?
Yes

- If the wander behavior handle movement, then why it's not an ability but rather a behavior?
I guess it could be an ability, but in this context it makes sense to have it be a task since it already exists in the Movement Pack.