Swap Atlas model for other models

stefano_s

Hi everyone! I am having issues adding new characters into the game using the ModelManager script. First of all, here's the steps I am following.
First, I separate the arms from the rest of the mesh using FPS Mesh Tool, following this tutorial.
What I get from this is essentially 2 prefabs, the base mesh with the arms separated (although it does seem to separate the materials and not the mesh, is it intended?) and another mesh with only the arms for the first person perspective.
I then use the CharacterManager window to setup a new model. Here's the current setup.
IMG_7101.JPG
IMG_7102.JPG
The issues start here. The third person character does work mostly as intended, while the first person objects do not. A couple of notes that could be helpful:
  • as you can see in the first screenshot, I used the Demo animator controller instead of the FirstPersonArmsDemo: using the latter results in broken animations. I suspect because the Avatar used in the mesh generated from the FPS Mesh Tool is still an humanoid one, while FirstPersonArmsDemo seems to require a generic 4 bone one. I might be wrong tho!
  • as previosly mentioned, FPS Mesh Tool seems to separate the materials and not the mesh, is it intended?
Anything I might have done wrong during the process? Thanks!

It has been awhile since I looked at the FPS Mesh Tool but when I did it I only had one set of arms. It looks like you have three - arms, left arm, and right arm. It should only be one set because you are not splitting out the individual arms from the humanoid mesh. If you use a single set of arms does it work? Using the demo controller is correct but it doesn't look like you used that for the arms.

Hey Justin, thank you so much for your answer. Unfortunately, it does not seem to work as expected even with the configuration you suggested. I feel we are making progress though. The Pistol setup does not work but the Assault Rifle one does. I guess it's because the AR uses a 2 arms setup? Fortunately for us, we'd prefer using a rifle setup so this is a start for sure! Here are some issues I've been dealing with:
  • Position/Rotation offset of both first person arms and assault rifle: in the tutorial I mentioned, it seems that both the AR Gameobject and the FirstPersonPerspectiveItem are already in the prefab and can be tuned outside of play. It does not seem to the case with my setup.
  • Arms mesh does not render in scene view so it's really hard to both tune and debug (e.g. checking if IK and animations work as expected)
  • Arms/Head on TP mesh renders in FP: as I mentioned in the last message, FPS Mesh Tool does seem to separate the materials and not the meshes. This means that the script mentioned in the tutorial doesn't work as intended. I can find a solution on my own but I was wondering if there's some built in solution I can use!
Please let me know if you need any more information about this! It's very important for us to find the right workflow to implement new 3D models in the game!

Position/Rotation offset of both first person arms and assault rifle: in the tutorial I mentioned, it seems that both the AR Gameobject and the FirstPersonPerspectiveItem are already in the prefab and can be tuned outside of play. It does not seem to the case with
You should still have a FirstPersonPerspectiveItem. This is added when you create the individual weapons. This is also shown at

• Arms mesh does not render in scene view so it's really hard to both tune and debug (e.g. checking if IK and animations work as expected)
  • Arms/Head on TP mesh renders in FP: as I mentioned in the last message, FPS Mesh Tool does seem to separate the materials and not the meshes. This means that the script mentioned in the tutorial doesn't work as intended. I can find a solution on my own but I was wondering if there's some built in solution I can use!
I'm definitely not a FPS Mesh Tool expert so these questions may be better for the FPS Mesh Tool publisher, but from what I know FPS Mesh Tool just uses a separate material and does not split out the mesh.

You should still have a FirstPersonPerspectiveItem. This is added when you create the individual weapons. This is also shown at

I'm definitely not a FPS Mesh Tool expert so these questions may be better for the FPS Mesh Tool publisher, but from what I know FPS Mesh Tool just uses a separate material and does not split out the mesh.
sorry about the delay!! thanks for the tips. I decided to use a custom script to manage offset and position of the arms individually for all characters. I am still having trouble debugging this tho, since the first person materials still do not render in scene view. I plan on writing to FPS Mesh Tool publisher, I'll let you know what I can find out about this.