Character stutters unless Update Location is changed during runtime.

tnpcook1

Hi,

I've been noticing some stutter at velocity (2m/s or greater), particularly withstanding on moving objects.
Currently using Third Person Adventure, and Cinemachine integration with UCC.

I am preferring FixedUpdate as the UpdateLocation of the motor, since we do not want to manage framerate-dependent movement and have a lot of other physics happening.
Notably, using Update also provokes this problem. We have seen it at framerates as high as 60, though it is much more present lower.

Setting the character motor to Update, fixes the clipping into the surface at certain framerates, but the following world-space camerabind continues to stutter. Their jumps, and other motions become a bit difficult to control due to variable framerate as well.

Interestingly, if I *begin* with the character set to Update in Editor, then change the field to FixedUpdate in inspector, the behavior works as intended. The character no longer jitters as they move. This solves the problem, even at framerates below 15.

Additionally,
When the character lands on the platform I am using characterLocomotion.SetPlatform(gameObject.transform) in OnTriggerEnter; to 'attach' them. In various searches I've seen mention of tons of other ways to do this with UCC. This works for our boat, but not other objects that we move dynamically and can't anticipate the need for triggers on.
Such as pieces of debris generated at runtime, or the player jumping onto the back of a critter, is there a more physics-driven approach to standing on moving objects?
I figured I'd ask this here as well instead of starting a new thread. We have a lot of objects that break, and float runtime generated framents that we want them to hop around on. Currently, UCC's behavior with bumping and standing on these fragments is strange to us, and I wanted to see if there was recommended reading for that sort of thing too.

Attachments

• UCCconfig.png
    UCCconfig.png
    97.6 KB · Views: 2
Are you able to reproduce the issue within the demo scene or tell me how to reproduce it from a fresh project?

I'll take a swing at reproducing it in the demo scene, because I do not initially spot this with Nolan there.

Updating this, it doesn't happen on the character(Nolan) in the demo scene, struggling to repro reliably. Will update again if I come across anything isolating.