Behavior Designer Samples

Grzzld

Howdy everyone.
New to Opsive Behavior Trees and looking at the Utility Theory and trying to learn the basics. I searched the documentation but I am not grasping why the Ethan character isn’t using any animation controller to “walk” or idle. Is there an example I can download or can someone please point out a resource that would explain how to leverage a controller system into the graph? I do have Opsive third character controller but may wan to use Malbecs as their animal controller is pretty groovy.
Thank you and apologies for the very basic question.

For the best results animations should be kept outside of the behavior tree. This page has a good explanation for why:

The Third Person Controller integration implements methods described by that page.

Thank you for the reply Justin. I am onboard why the animations should be kept outside of the behavior tree and in its own controller but I am missing a very basic part of how to engage or call the animation while the character is moving around the scene. For example, if I use Malber's Animal Controller or Opsive's Third Person Controller and setup an NPC, I can get them to move to a target but they are not doing a walking animation. In fact they are just idling as they slide around. What I am missing is how to have the behavior tree engage the animation controller state. I am looking through documentation and videos and trying to reverse engineer sample scenes but to no avail. I know they can all work together as the following link is an example of that. If you can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it!
Example of what I am trying to accomplish.

I haven't used Malbers controller in awhile so I'm not sure how it works with animations and navigation, but with the Third Person Controller the NavMeshMovement ability will move the controller based on the navmesh path. This will then play the animations based on the movement values.

Have you tried the Behavior Designer sample scene? This gives a good working example of an AI agent walking around with navigation.

Hi Justin. I tried the Demo Scene in Behavior Designer > UltimateCharacterController > Demo > Scene. Unfortunately the EnemyAtlas NPC doesn't really do much and it appears he is borked. Walking through the behavior tree, I still am not grasping the call to the animator controller. Is that done via script that acts like a bridge between the two? I am looking at the documentation and other than the link you sent, I can't seem to find anything else on the animator controller. I know it has got to be something basic but I am missing something right in front of me!
I really appreciate your assistance on this. I am a business process guy and really want to get into the behavior trees to make something fun but I can't get my little Synty guys to walk yet. Your help is very much appreciated!

Attachments

• Opsive 01.jpg
    Opsive 01.jpg
    703.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Opsive 02.jpg
    Opsive 02.jpg
    749.2 KB · Views: 2
Do you have the Movement Pack imported? The sample scene requires the movement pack.

Last edited:
Do you have the Movement Pack imported? The sample scene requires the movement pack.
No, I did not purchase the movement pack. I did not realize I needed three separate purchases to get this to all work together. If I can get the funds together to make another purchase I will report back.

Well $15 bucks later (bought the movement pack) and I have the same results from that scene. These are the same exact results I have from a virgin project on another machine this morning with the two assets (Behavior Tree and Third Person Movement Pack).

Attachments

• Opsive 03.jpg
    Opsive 03.jpg
    798.7 KB · Views: 2
You are getting warnings - what is the call stack of the warning? I just tried a similar setup and it worked.

Hey Justin. When opening the Behavior Designer > Integrations > UltimateDemoController > Demo > Scene, I have the following errors:

• Prefab instance problem. Missing Prefab Asset: 'AtlasFirstPersonArms (Missing Prefab with guid: 96740180816f08d46ac68418a4de0540)'
  • Problem detected while opening the Scene file: 'Assets/Behavior Designer/Integrations/UltimateCharacterController/Demo/Scene.unity'. Check the following logs for more details.
  • Creating missing Animator component for ChildAnimatorMonitor in AtlasFirstPersonArms (Missing Prefab with guid: 96740180816f08d46ac68418a4de0540).
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_RestoreLastOpenedScenes ()
  • Missing types referenced from component UltimateCharacterLocomotion on game object EnemyAtlas: Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.FirstPersonController.Character.MovementTypes.Combat, Opsive.UltimateCharacterController (1 object)
  • Missing types referenced from component UltimateCharacterLocomotion on game object Atlas:
    Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.FirstPersonController.Character.MovementTypes.Combat, Opsive.UltimateCharacterController (1 object)
  • Missing types referenced from component CameraController on game object Main Camera: Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.FirstPersonController.Camera.ViewTypes.Combat, Opsive.UltimateCharacterController (1 object) Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.FirstPersonController.Camera.ViewTypes.TransformLook, Opsive.UltimateCharacterController (1 object)
  • Plugin 'Assets/Behavior Designer/Runtime/BehaviorDesigner.Runtime.dll' has the same filename as Assembly Definition File 'Assets/Behavior Designer/Runtime/BehaviorDesigner.Runtime.asmdef'. Rename the assemblies to avoid hard to diagnose issues and crashes.

Those will definitely cause some issues. When the demo scene loads it will remove the unnecessary objects. Maybe not having the movement pack imported before caused the scene to get corrupted - have you tried a fresh project?

I can confirm that a brand new project with the third person controller, behavior tree, behavior tree movement and the ultimate movement controller integration, it now all works. Now I just need to figure out how the actual animator works in the behavior tree. I think a resent post asks about this too.