Why are first person arms offset?

talkingheads

Hi, sorry if this is such an obvious question, but am wondering why the first person arms don't line up to the third person arms - ie they are higher up. I'm sure there is an obvious reason for this, but I'm using the character controller for an application which isn't a fps and want the object the character is holding to be in exactly the same position if you are in first or third person view.

I was also wondering how I get the editor to show first rather that third person - assume this is something I have set up wrong!

I am a noob as my son would say!

Thanks for your help.

Keith

The first person arms are risen so they appear within the camera view while the camera is at the head level.

I was also wondering how I get the editor to show first rather that third person - assume this is something I have set up wrong!
Can you give more details? In this video the editor shows a first person perspective:

If you don't have a dedicated set of first person arms you can use FPS Mesh Tool:

Ah I see thanks for the reply. The reason I want to do this is you will see both first and third at the same time in the app I'm designing. Its not a shooter, but the avatar is using a camera - as in they're holding one - and I want the camera they are holding to maintain the same height in both views. So if I adjust the first person camera then there will not be an issue? Once again thanks for the great product - and support!

Ah I see thanks for the reply. The reason I want to do this is you will see both first and third at the same time in the app I'm designing. Its not a shooter, but the avatar is using a camera - as in they're holding one - and I want the camera they are holding to maintain the same height in both views. So if I adjust the first person camera then there will not be an issue? Once again thanks for the great product - and support!
also I'm not at my desk at the moment, could the reason I think I see third person view in editor be because I have set the third person arms and head up wrong? so I think I am seeing third person but am actually seeing first person with shaded head and arms? Finally I know that you are not currently recommending HDRP, but can I use camera stacking/ compositing as a hack?

you will see both first and third at the same time in the app I'm designing
Do you mean there will be two cameras that the player will see whilst playing, one in first person and one in third person? In that case, I'm not exactly familiar with this kind of setup but I'd imagine you could just have each camera use a different culling mask to only render one or the other of the arms objects?