When will Bolt Multiplayer Add-On?..

Justin

Administrator
Staff member
I would eventually like to add support for Bolt, but it likely won't be any time soon as there are other higher priorities. @Matt is developing an add-on for Mirror which allows for dedicated servers that you may be interested in though.

Rastos78

I would like to try to create Bolt Multiplayer Add-On based on PUN Multiplayer Add-On.
Is it possible to sell it later?
And who should I talk to about it?

Justin

Administrator
Staff member
Is it possible to sell it later?
Definitely!

And who should I talk to about it?
When you get closer to release or need something changed in the core character controller scripts you can contact me at support@opsive.com. There will likely need to be some changes to the network interfaces in order to support authoritative servers (though the general architecture should be able to handle it)

Matt

Please don't abuse bold text @Rastos78. It gets annoying. Just a friendly tip.

Just keep in mind that trying to make a server authoritative version of a client authoritative add-on is not always straight forward. Be prepared to know how to use the debugger, breakpoints, tracepoints. There is a lot of moving parts in UCC Multiplayer and if any of them break you can be sent on a wild goose chase. Trust me - I've been there, done that.

And you will need to be able to support your add-on post development. If you don't know how Bolt works or you're just starting out with Bolt, then I don't recommend selling your add-on unless you're willing to rapidly learn the server-auth architecture and then take on the support questions of many. Otherwise you might throw your hands up in despair when you get 50+ emails saying "hey this breaks", etc.

Think out your asset before you start development. That's all. I'm not trying to crush anyone's hopes and dreams, I'm just sharing the reality of making server-authoritative network code.

Rastos78

Thank you @Matt for all this advice, and you're right.

I'm starting with the network but I have training pending on RPC (Remote Procedure Call) and I'm going to rely on PUN Multiplayer Add-On for Opsive Character Controllers.

For the moment I have another integration to finish, we'll see later.

However, your Mirror Networking for UCC Add-on uses which servers? and where can you find the price list?

Matt

I'm starting with the network but I have training pending on RPC (Remote Procedure Call) and I'm going to rely on PUN Multiplayer Add-On for Opsive Character Controllers.

For the moment I have another integration to finish, we'll see later.
Mmkay.

However, your Mirror Networking for UCC Add-on uses which servers? and where can you find the price list?
We don't use any locked-behind-closed-doors servers or pay for CCU or any of that crap. Our infrastructure allows you to deploy your builds on a old computer that's connected to your basement's internet connection being used as a server.

Mirror believes in "your server, your game" much like dead UNET was. We've got users using dedicated servers with Mirror builds on cheapo $3.50 - $5 USD a month Vultr/Linode VPS servers and they run their games in production. Mirror just works. All you need to do is deploy using Unity 2018.3+ with "Server Build" ticked, make sure you include the networked scenes, copy the binaries over to their respective places on the server and off you go.

Windows Server or Linux Server, it does not matter.

However, you do lose the whole "cloud relay" stuff like Photon does but this trade-off allows you to dictate what and how your networking works. Want to use TCP over UDP for networking? You can do that in Mirror. You want to make it a Steam P2P server? You can do that too. Want to make it run on TCP and WebSockets? Hell, Mirror can do that too.

Check out the Mirror website for more information.