• We are looking for a content creator to help market our assets and a future unannounced project. More details are on this page.

VR Add-On with Quest?

fdmaker

Hi RobotGames, are you using Unity XR Rig with the Ultimate Character Controller? If so, can you provide more information on your setup?
talk is you have to use the new XR stuff to get it to work, (standard opsive controller and not the oculus rig) but so far I have not had much success. We should all get a thread going on how to actually get this working with the quest. What setup are you using?

I have tried 20194.lts with the legacy stuff (head and hand tracking was working, but I could never get any movement types to work) and am currently trying the new xr stuff in 2020.lts as others have reported to get it working in this config, but so far I have not.

Last edited:

kakayaga

I can use the Oculus OVRPlayerController prefab to navigate around the scene. I attached the main character gameobject to it, but then none of the functionality, such as hands or weapons, is working.

When I use Oculus Link to run my game, the Opsive controller works well. You do need to adjust the hand offset to get the hands out of the air. When I export my game as an APK to my Oculus Quest, however, none of the controls work. I'm going through the code to see how I can get the two to work together.

fdmaker

I can use the Oculus OVRPlayerController prefab to navigate around the scene. I attached the main character gameobject to it, but then none of the functionality, such as hands or weapons, is working.

When I use Oculus Link to run my game, the Opsive controller works well. You do need to adjust the hand offset to get the hands out of the air. When I export my game as an APK to my Oculus Quest, however, none of the controls work. I'm going through the code to see how I can get the two to work together.
Gotcha, gotcha. I'm going through it now as well. Its a tad tedious for me as I am the art guy and not the coder.
Bigpookie over on the discord said they got it working on a quest a about two weeks back just by "remapping" the inputs using the new XR system and set me an inputmanager asset that was mapped, but I tried it on 2019 and it didn't work. I'm booting up and configing 2020 with all the new XR stuff now and will try it again by the morning....

Will keep ya informed if I find anything. I'd REALLY like to get this going on my setup with joytisck movment,=.

I had the headtracking and handtracking working with the demo a while back on the quest 1, but could not get input passthrough for any other functions on the buttons or grip. I used the legacy system with OVR 1.38 and unity 2019.4lts..

Onward and upward!

fdmaker

Edit: the inputmanager asset with supposed correct input mapping for use with the new XR system, in case anyone wants to play with it. and if you do get it working, please come back and let us all know what the exact steps were! Cheers!

Attachments

• InputManager(2).asset
    37.1 KB · Views: 4

kakayaga

Edit: the inputmanager asset with supposed correct input mapping for use with the new XR system, in case anyone wants to play with it. and if you do get it working, please come back and let us all know what the exact steps were! Cheers!

Thank you for making the button mappings available. Sadly, that did not work for me as well. After I export my game as an apk to my quest, none of my controls work. When I use Oculus Link to play the game, the controls work well. Here is the video I used to setup my XR Xig. I haven't been able to get the two to work together.

fdmaker

Thank you for making the button mappings available. Sadly, that did not work for me as well. After I export my game as an apk to my quest, none of my controls work. When I use Oculus Link to play the game, the controls work well. Here is the video I used to setup my XR Xig. I haven't been able to get the two to work together.

Drat! Double drat...

I have been trying different configs of unity and OVR to no avail either.
Have a few test cases to try today . unity 2020/legacy XR input and then unity 2020/XR input/newinput system..

Sucks. I think this kit would work well for mobile vr if this problem could be fixed.

slightly different info for mobile vr dev: I have heard though another thread on the forums, that there is a glicth in the AI system of some sort that starts to decrease performance when about 12+ enemies are on the screen... Some sort of AI pathing issue, but I'm not sure of the exact details... and not sure its a problem if you design levels with this in mind..

anyway, sure would love to get the control schema working.... maybe we should jump up a level on the forums to get some visibility to the issue and see if anyone else has any input. You up on discord?

last I heard, justin didn't have a quest to even look at this issue. Maybe we should all throw in and buy him one! ;-)

kakayaga

Drat! Double drat...

I have been trying different configs of unity and OVR to no avail either.
Have a few test cases to try today . unity 2020/legacy XR input and then unity 2020/XR input/newinput system..

Sucks. I think this kit would work well for mobile vr if this problem could be fixed.

slightly different info for mobile vr dev: I have heard though another thread on the forums, that there is a glicth in the AI system of some sort that starts to decrease performance when about 12+ enemies are on the screen... Some sort of AI pathing issue, but I'm not sure of the exact details... and not sure its a problem if you design levels with this in mind..

anyway, sure would love to get the control schema working.... maybe we should jump up a level on the forums to get some visibility to the issue and see if anyone else has any input. You up on discord?

last I heard, justin didn't have a quest to even look at this issue. Maybe we should all throw in and buy him one! ;-)

My problem is that I have already spent enough money on the Ultimate Character Bundle to purchase a Quest 2. My wife was planning on getting me a Quest 2 for my birthday, but I told her to get this instead.

It doesn't appear that the company is committed to VR. Many of the threads describing these issues are several months old and the issues still haven't been fixed. It doesn't look like they will be fixed anytime soon. And these are big issues like controllers not working. Everything else is pointless if the controllers aren't working.

The Quest 1 has outsold every other VR headset combined except for the Quest 2. The Quest 2 has sold more than any previous VR headset combined, including the Quest 1. It's hard to justify not having an Oculus Quest to debug and fix these issues, especially when your product costs as much as a Quest.

I'm having serious buyer's remorse , because it appears it will be easier and faster implementing my own solution than waiting for them to fix their product.