VR Add-On - can the mobility methods in the VR add-on can be toggled off?

Ascensi

I have a third party controller specifically for movement with hardware that sends wasd input and I'd need to be able to toggle mobility options in the UI.

Justin

Administrator
Staff member
The VR Add-On requires the character controller in order to work. For your situation you could create a new movement type that interfaces with the hardware.

Ascensi

I'm using the Virtuix Omni SDK which provides the movement type for the hardware/treadmill. I want to use the SDK just to move around with the Treadmill.. it doesn't use mocap to work so basically any animations of UCC can be used together no problem -well just as long as wasd can be used with your VR Add-on (switch teleport to gamepad mode should work)

The only feature this setup will likely require is crouch activated on the Vive controller and maybe a physical gesture combined with running speed/velocity that triggers a jump. Does the VR add-on contain any common poses that can be used as triggers?

Anyway the SDK is free to examine if you're potentially interested in adding support for it. thanks for your help.

Justin

Administrator
Staff member
In that case I don't think that you'll need a new movement type, but just a new class derived from PlayerInput which acts as the input. The UnityInput component is a good example to look at for how it gets input, but you'll probably also want to look at the RewiredInput component as it is a little bit more simple because it doesn't deal with virtual buttons. This would be a good class to look at even if you don't have Rewired (though maybe Rewired has support for the Virtuix Omni? It seems to be integrated with every other controller :) ).