Version 3 Details

Once again congrats on this release!

There are two things that i think could've been better on UCC2 and I have a couple of suggestions that maybe is too late now, but anyway here they are:

- The way we 'align' the gun model with the aim on screen. I always had trouble to make it right with all the pivot thing. (I was thinking about an "IK" based editor, where you put the weapon where you want for each 'state' and save the parameters based on that)

- The rate of fire would be better to use RPM (rounds per minute) as an measurement unit. Would be a lot easier to match real guns specs

@denisfrs Those are some good suggestions. Unfortunatly they won't make it in time for the release.

1) An align with aim editor or runtime feature does sound like something nice. but it would also be quite difficult to implement. I'll add it to the list of things to investigate.

2) Currently with the new Item module system we shoot with the trigger module which gets their timing from wait times or animation events.
In the futue I'll add other shooter modules that will be able to shoot multiple rounds in one use. When I do so I'll be able to add a RPM field and even do interesting things like building up speed (often seen in games with miniguns) .
I doubt it will make it for release, but I'll add it to the list to feature requests to make sure I don't forget

Pre-release update: Overall things are going well and we should be able to release early this week. We are able to create a build for the tree variants and there aren't any issues. The core code has been stable for awhile, but we have been continuously fixing minor issues, reposition objects, adding effects, adjusting the menus, etc. It's now a question of how much polish do we want to continue with before we pre-release.

Can we expect a new set of tutorials for the new version?
Definitely. Along with polish that's mainly what we'll be doing before the Asset Store release.

Version 3 update - we will be releasing tomorrow morning! We just got the last of the items that we wanted to finish complete so it's now time to make the build. We don't have any of the product pages created so that'll take some time but a tomorrow morning release will give us plenty of time.

I have another question. I'm weighing whether it would be worth buying version 3 and the main question on my mind is the following:

The mentioned Locomotion Logic changes could, potentially, make this purchase worth it just by themselves. I find the movement in UCC a little clunky (despite loving the asset and learning a lot from it)...

How would you characterise the improvements on the Locomotion System? What were the problem areas that you identified in version 2? Do the parameters we have to customise the character movement change at all?

So I can have a better understanding when you say the word "clunky" what are you referring to? The animations? The locomotion? Something else?

Version 3 has been pre-released!

Looking at the promo videos I can still see some character movement or camera jerkiness (probably camera). I hope that it is not present in the final version, I always had some problems making the 3rd person camera smooth in UCC 2.0, especially around obstacles. It required a lot of tweaking trial and error and it still wasn't as smooth as it should be.

@Justin
Do we need to contact you for a coupon if we own the controllers through the Opsive store? ATM I'm seeing full price, when logged in, for both controllers yet I have both V2 controllers in my Opsive account.

So I can have a better understanding when you say the word "clunky" what are you referring to? The animations? The locomotion? Something else?

I'm referring to two things in particular:
1- The difficulty/awkwardness of configuring the 'Motor' section of the 'Ultimate Character Locomotion' script (in particular the dynamic between the settings 'Motor Acceleration', 'Motor Damping' and 'Previous Acceleration Influence'. Configuring these settings felt quite unintuitive, and the result wasn't quite what I hoped for.

A contrast to this feeling of clunkiness could be presented by one of your competitors, ECM2, which is basically just a giant movement script. It doesn't have any of the other solutions/integrations that UCC does, but configuring the movement in that asset to my needs felt a lot better.

2- The combination of the above problem with the "clunkiness" of the placeholder animations. I know that we are expected to create our own animation solutions, be it animator controllers or straight up animations, but the first impression left by the "clunkiness" of Nolan's movement was a little disappointing.

I have a constructive recommendation to remedy the second problem, if you find that I'm not the only one who experienced it:
Working with an animator to create animation solutions for UCC. Or perhaps to reduce the "clunkiness" of the placeholder animations somewhat. Maybe both. I would certainly have paid for an animation solution crafted by you and an experienced animator of your choosing, but seeing that none were on offer, I tried buying my own animations and I'm going to try and come up with a solution by myself.

But yes, the aforementioned two problems are what I basically mean by "clunky". Do you agree? Do you feel that version 3 remedies these problems somewhat?

Looking at the promo videos I can still see some character movement or camera jerkiness (probably camera). I hope that it is not present in the final version, I always had some problems making the 3rd person camera smooth in UCC 2.0, especially around obstacles. It required a lot of tweaking trial and error and it still wasn't as smooth as it should be.
I think that this version will be what you are looking for. The new collision detection system gets around obstacles a lot more seamlessly. As an example in this image the character can smoothly go over any of those objects without getting stuck.

@Justin
Do we need to contact you for a coupon if we own the controllers through the Opsive store? ATM I'm seeing full price, when logged in, for both controllers yet I have both V2 controllers in my Opsive account.
You should automatically see the price change with a pre-existing Opsive Store purchase. Or do you have TPC and FPC separately? I didn't add a rule for that scenario but can do that now.

1- The difficulty/awkwardness of configuring the 'Motor' section of the 'Ultimate Character Locomotion' script (in particular the dynamic between the settings 'Motor Acceleration', 'Motor Damping' and 'Previous Acceleration Influence'. Configuring these settings felt quite unintuitive, and the result wasn't quite what I hoped for.

A contrast to this feeling of clunkiness could be presented by one of your competitors, ECM2, which is basically just a giant movement script. It doesn't have any of the other solutions/integrations that UCC does, but configuring the movement in that asset to my needs felt a lot better.
Ah, I see. This aspect hasn't changed because it allows the most configurability. For example, if we just had a single 'speed' variable then there are questions such as how quickly does the character accelerate to that speed. Also how quickly does the character slow down when no longer moving?

You just gave me the idea though to include a field within the inspector that tells you the speed at which the character will move based on the current values. While this won't allow you to directly adjust it, it should be a much more intuitive way to see how the acceleration/damping values affect it.

2- The combination of the above problem with the "clunkiness" of the placeholder animations. I know that we are expected to create our own animation solutions, be it animator controllers or straight up animations, but the first impression left by the "clunkiness" of Nolan's movement was a little disappointing.
The animations in v3 were adjusted for the new rig, but largely they didn't change (we are currently working on new first person animations now though). I will be interested in hearing what you think after we release the demo, but I think that the default values now are a lot better so should make the animations appear smoother.

We have a long term animation plan with motion capture animations, but we aren't there yet to be able to add them to the controller.

I have been working on the docs for version 3 and finished the migration guide for those interested in what it'll take to upgrade:

Curious about add-ons like the PUN, agility, swimming adds on - are these intended to get updated as well?

View attachment 9649

Version 3 will be pre-released on the Opsive Store the week of October 10!

Version 3 will be released on the Asset Store after a successful pre-release phase and all of the documentation/videos have been updated. We've received a lot of interest for version 3 so we decided to do a pre-release phase for those who are really itching to get their hands on it.

We are expecting those participating in the pre-release phase to already be familiar with version 2 as version 3 will not have updated documentation, videos, or add-ons/integration support. Before version 3 hits the Asset Store we will have the complete set of documentation and videos ready to go. The add-ons and integrations will be added after the controller has been released on the Asset Store.

We will be monitoring the version 2 to 3 update process but are expecting version 2 to be supported until the end of the year. You will be able to migrate your character from version 2 to version 3 without having to recreate the character. Unity 2021.3 will be the minimum supported version of Unity.

The major version 3 changes include:

New Locomotion Logic
The Character Locomotion movement logic has been reworked for version 3. I actually started with a new component and slowly built up the logic with lessons learned from version 2. Things like the protruding objects are now smoothly handled. Box colliders are now supported. The Kinematic Object Manager has been removed and the Rigidbody component is responsible for the interpolation.

View attachment 9650

Modular Item System
Santiago (@Sangemdoko) spent many months developing a new modular item system. I am extremely impressed with what he has accomplished. In version 2 the magic item contains modular actions for the different states of the magic item. In version 3 every component has this flexibility. This is really going to open up a lot of possibilities for new functionality without having to change the item class.
View attachment 9651

Character Model Switching
Switching the character model at runtime has been a hot topic on the forum and I'm happy to say that it is now supported out of the box. A new Model Manager component allows you to easily switch between the different character models.

Improved Editors
All of the major editors have been rewritten using Unity's UIToolkit. This is the most noticeable when you select the character at runtime - the performance is no longer degraded because IMGUI isn't redrawing all of the elements every frame.

New Demo Scene
For version 3 we decided to take a new approach to the demo scene. We have a simplified prototype scene that shows all of the functionality in different zones. The new characters (called Atlas and Rhea) are going to be the generic characters that we use for all of our products.

View attachment 9652

And Much More
In addition to these items there have been a ton of features and improvements that aren't large enough to need their own topic. Aim Assist has gotten a makeover. The Animation Event Trigger class has been improved. TextMeshPro is now being used instead of the old UGUI text. It goes on and on.

Migration
The update from version 1 to 2 was a complete rewrite so you had to start from scratch with a new character. In version 3 there is a new Migration Manager tool that will help you migrate your version 2 character, camera, and item to version 3. We will have detailed documentation and videos on how to migrate when the release gets closer.

Reworked Controller Variants
We received a lot of feedback that the current variants (UFPS, TPC, FPC, UCC, etc) are confusing. As an example, a lot of times people don't know that UFPS doesn't include melee weapons. We agree and are reworking the structure. We will now only have three variants at release:

UFPS
Third Person Controller
Ultimate Character Controller

UFPS includes a first person perspective with all items. TPC includes a third person perspective with all items. The Ultimate Character Controller includes both perspectives and all items. Simple.

Price
Version 3 is a major update and we have spent significant development resources creating it so there will be an upgrade cost. If you purchased the character controller within 3 months of the release the upgrade will be free. If you purchased it earlier than that it will be a 50% upgrade fee.

The regular price of the Ultimate Character Controller will be $250. This means that the cost to upgrade will be $125. If you purchased a variant that will not be in version 3 (such as the First Person Controller) you will be able to upgrade to the next best-variant for version 3. For example with the First Person Controller you will be able to upgrade to UFPS for 50% off the UFPS price. UFPS will have its price increased to $125. There will also be appropriate upgrades set if you would like to upgrade to the Ultimate Character Controller from a lower variant.

If you purchased on the Asset Store and would like to upgrade to the pre-release on the Opsive Store you can send me a PM with your invoice number and I'll generate a coupon.

VR Add-On
We will not be updating the VR Add-On for version 3 at this time. The Unity VR setup has changed since the initial release and we do not have the most recent hardware in order to be able to continue to support it. If you purchased the VR Add-On in the past three months and would like a refund please get in contact with us.

Feel free to post any questions below. I have been following the version 3 request thread and unfortunately some requested items aren't able to make the initial release. Similar to version 2 we plan on actively updating and maintaining the controller so they could show up sooner rather than later.
I was wondering, I have behaviour Designer, Inventory System, the ladder and ability add-on plus the deathmatch add-on (Yeah I like your product a lot as you can see ), now I understand that I will have to wait for the integration to come, but will I have to buy them again or it will be integrated in the future ?

For example, about the ability and ladder add-on, are they already integrated into version 3, if not will I have to buy them again or the add-on will be updated in the future for version 3 ?

I was wondering, I have behaviour Designer, Inventory System, the ladder and ability add-on plus the deathmatch add-on (Yeah I like your product a lot as you can see ), now I understand that I will have to wait for the integration to come, but will I have to buy them again or it will be integrated in the future ?

For example, about the ability and ladder add-on, are they already integrated into version 3, if not will I have to buy them again or the add-on will be updated in the future for version 3 ?
Also, with version 3, will I need an integration for URP or it is already implemented ?