Version 3 Details

I was wondering, I have behaviour Designer, Inventory System, the ladder and ability add-on plus the deathmatch add-on (Yeah I like your product a lot as you can see ), now I understand that I will have to wait for the integration to come, but will I have to buy them again or it will be integrated in the future ?
The add-ons and integrations do need to be updated. I don't want to update on top of the existing add-on pages because those with version 2 will then update and see that it's only for version 3. As a result we are planning on doing a major update for the add-ons but only charging $1 for the update just so people know that it's for version 3.

Also, with version 3, will I need an integration for URP or it is already implemented ?
There will need to be an updated integration. Integration and add-ons are my topic next week.

this is so bad news and i feel very stolen i payed with tax nearly 300 € for UCC and additionally i bought UFPS before and most of the other stuff..
i thought i will keep it but its depreciated now so i feel very stolen...

i was very happy with it but now im very disappointed it means i can not relay on a product like this.. i mean im building my game on it and now everything changes... also you should fix the inventory instead of making new paid versions...

im so disappointed of opsive

this is so bad news and i feel very stolen i payed with tax nearly 300 € for UCC and additionally i bought UFPS before and most of the other stuff..
i thought i will keep it but its depreciated now so i feel very stolen...

i was very happy with it but now im very disappointed it means i can not relay on a product like this.. i mean im building my game on it and now everything changes... also you should fix the inventory instead of making new paid versions...

im so disappointed of opsive
For off we thank you for your support.

It has been four years since our last paid update. I personally spent more than a year developing version 3 and with the new feature set I think that the price is well justified. In addition, there are a countless number of publishers who have moved off of the Asset Store. We don't plan on having that happen to us. Paid updates make the Asset Store a lot more sustainable and should actually increase your confidence in us because we are standing by our products and continuously updating them.

Version 2.4.9 will still be supported throughout the end of the year. The number of bug fixes required has significantly slowed down so you should have no problem using it in its current state.

For off we thank you for your support.

It has been four years since our last paid update. I personally spent more than a year developing version 3 and with the new feature set I think that the price is well justified. In addition, there are a countless number of publishers who have moved off of the Asset Store. We don't plan on having that happen to us. Paid updates make the Asset Store a lot more sustainable and should actually increase your confidence in us because we are standing by our products and continuously updating them.

Version 2.4.9 will still be supported throughout the end of the year. The number of bug fixes required has significantly slowed down so you should have no problem using it in its current state.

I can understand that you work four years and want to get off money.
But why from existing customers who don't own it even one year?
This makes customers like me loose the onfidence in developers like you instead of increasing it.
There are other publishers which also did updates but they choosed to give existing customers a low price update..
30 € i would be ok with max but hey common i own all that stuff i bought from opsive i paid for (around 300 €) less than one year (in april 2022) and now i should pay for it around 150 € again?

Even without the money part this is bad news for me since all integrations and addons are becoming useless until everything is on the same state again making my developing using this controller for my game which is not released yet very uncertain.
Suddenly there are a lot of problems in front of me because its a completely new product and the old one is depreciated..

Last edited:
since you said until end of year, im trying to download all the integrations and addon versions i can from your homepage and i find out all the links are dead already?

i dont understand any of the new decisions properly all i can tell you that yesterday i was very satisfied by opsive and the products an even expressed that in a talkround with other developers, this was all before i knew that now all is depreciated

im so frustrated.. i invested into you as a developer and gave you my trust and my money, i was even about to buy the last missing items im not owning yet, like the ai system.
i mean with my trust and investment the return is that im now stuck, my game is near release and suddenly im risking a lot with given my trust into this..

when its about dependencies you want something reliable and trustful and this is very hurt here...
at the moment it might even be more wise to invest into building my own controller...which will be of course more delay the release date

1667679388845.png

Last edited:
I can understand that you work four years and want to get off money.
But why from existing customers who don't own it even one year?
This makes customers like me loose the onfidence in developers like you instead of increasing it.
There are other publishers which also did updates but they choosed to give existing customers a low price update..
30 € i would be ok with max but hey common i own all that stuff i bought from opsive i paid for (around 300 €) less than one year (in april 2022) and now i should pay for it around 150 € again?
The upgrade tool doesn't allow to to have that much fine grain control for deciding how much the discount should be based on the time of purchase.

The version that you have still works well with the latest version of Unity. The source code is included so if there is something that changes in a future version of Unity you are still able to update it. When you buy an asset you are just buying the asset, no support, no guarantee of updates, etc. In some sense this isn't any different than what would happen if we were to go out of business and stop updating the assets. Except upgrades help ensure that won't happen so the situation is much better.

I know of one large publisher who is no longer actively working on their assets because the Asset Store isn't a business model that allows for growth.

since you said until end of year, im trying to download all the integrations and addon versions i can from your homepage and i find out all the links are dead already?
You should be seeing the downloads. I just tried a version 2 invoice and it worked. Can you send me your invoice so I can look into it?

1667720640668.png

Last edited:
The upgrade tool doesn't allow to to have that much fine grain control for deciding how much the discount should be based on the time of purchase.

The version that you have still works well with the latest version of Unity. The source code is included so if there is something that changes in a future version of Unity you are still able to update it. When you buy an asset you are just buying the asset, no support, no guarantee of updates, etc. In some sense this isn't any different than what would happen if we were to go out of business and stop updating the assets. Except upgrades help ensure that won't happen so the situation is much better.

I know of one large publisher who is no longer actively working on their assets because the Asset Store isn't a business model that allows for growth.

You should be seeing the downloads. I just tried a version 2 invoice and it worked. Can you send me your invoice so I can look into it?

This is anyways very unfair for existing customers.. why so greedy and don't give existing customers 75% down for their loyality..they helped you to grow ? The price also always increased... or sell them a voucher or give them a coupon for your own store.. there are ways if you are honest..
i guess this is more worth keeping customers than loosing them

In my eyes publishers like Opsive destroy their own business..your arguments count you on that side... market analysis would show that most of the money comes from the small people and teams..

Since i bought the controller i never had an update with new features, comparing this with smaller publishers they do a lot of updates to grow with their passion behind.

For the downloads it seems i forgot to login which was not very clearly visible.. sorry for that

@xzesstence - There's a lot to unpack but hopefully this will help you see it from our position.

First off we care extremely about our existing customers - this is why we spend so much time on support and maintaining our assets. By releasing a version 3 it shows that we are still committed to our customers while also still having it make business sense. I know that you don't have the numbers in front of you, but so far the uptake of version 3 has been going really well. In fact the main character controller is number 2 in popularity on the Asset Store right now:

1667747210203.png

Will we in the future change the upgrade percent to 75%? Maybe, but right now we are happy with the conversion rate and overall have received positive feedback on version 3 so we not going to at this time. That definitely doesn't mean we won't change it in the future though. In deciding the 50% we used the data from the version 1 to 2 upgrade four years ago and also talked to existing publishers who do paid upgrades.

I definitely feel for your situation, but at the same time version 2 is still a great character controller and it is still supported. We may extend the support for version 2 past the end of the year depending on how quickly everyone converts, but at this point the rate of upgrades is going well so we'll see. It also still makes a lot of sense to use version 2. I haven't finished any of the version 3 integrations or add-ons. Version 2 is also really stable. We did a lot of testing but things like the new locomotion system and modular item system in version 3 will likely take some time for the dust to settle.

In the version 1 to 2 upgrade we had a grace period of 30 days. This was one of the areas that we used the feedback received from the previous upgrade cycle to determine 90 days. 90 days is also the upper range of what Unity recommends:
1667747625992.png

Would I like to be able to do a scaled upgrade price where those who purchased 4 years ago have a higher upgrade than those who purchased 91 days ago? Absolutely. I think that would also help with the conversion rate and make everyone happy about the upgrade. It hurts me seeing the complaints about the upgrade, but I also know from a business perspective we need to do it.

I hope that helps you understand the reasoning for the upgrades and why they are what they are. I am glad that you were able to get the downloads working.

The asset store should state something to the effect of "Paid Updates are REQUIRED". I would not have purchased this or other modules. Bought this in April lol.

Anyway, I think paying for updates is a good thing. I guess most users are individuals or small teams. So support is important. Only when plug-in publishers make money and feel profitable can they be able and interested in good updating and maintaining. Users will get better support. This is the same as we develop games.

Somen publishers discount the old version a while before the paid update is released, so that new buyers can get the discount in disguise.

In addition, where can I see the difference between UCC3 and UCC2 please? Has the upgrad tool been released? I have been using UCC2 for 2 years, and many plug-ins have been integrated in my project. I need to evaluate it. Thanks!

In addition, where can I see the difference between UCC3 and UCC2 please? Has the upgrad tool been released? I have been using UCC2 for 2 years, and many plug-ins have been integrated in my project. I need to evaluate it. Thanks!
You can see all of the changes in this post:

Hello, I just wanted to know if the Agility and Climbing packs will have a V3 version available by the end of the year ?

I am working on the Agility Pack now. I am likely going to start PUN next since I'd like to get that API fleshed out. In the meantime I also have more integrations and videos to create. I really hope to have everything done by the end of the year but that also depends on how many fixes the core controller needs.

There has been some discussion on Discord about the upgrade price for new customers so we are hoping this post will make it right. We really care about our customers which is the reason why we offer the level of support that we do and continuous updates to our assets.

So just to recap:
  • Version 2 of the Ultimate Character Controller was on the Asset Store for 4 years. During that time it went up in price from $185 to $230.
  • We initially wanted to continue to update version 2 on the Asset Store but version 2 got review bombed with one stars because of the version 3 upgrade. As we mentioned version 2 is still supported and we wanted to continue to be able to distribute updates during the time that it was supported, but I also didn't want it drop in rating just because we did a paid upgrade.
  • When you purchase an asset you are purchasing the asset as is with no guarantees of future updates or support. I really should go back and see how many free updates version 2 received but it was a lot throughout the 4 years. If you purchased it later in the lifecycle you benefited from those updates.
  • Upgrades help make the Asset Store a lot more sustainable. Eventually all of our assets will have a paid upgrade. The minimum duration that the Asset Store allows is 1 year, but honestly I don't think we'd be able to keep that pace. We don't have a schedule of exactly when we will be doing paid updates. Behavior Designer is almost to 9 (!) years of free updates.
On the Asset Store you can specify a grace period for those who purchased shortly before the paid update has been released. We specified a 90 day period which is on the upper range of what Unity recommends. I will be going back to the Asset Store to suggest a sliding scale so if you purchased it 91 days ago then it's not such a hard cut off. I would have liked to have done that by now but version 3 has kept us really preoccupied. In addition we are getting close to announcing our machine learning project so that has also taken time away from being able to really sit down and figure out how to proceed with upgrades.

With that said, we'd like to offer a 70% discount to customers who purchased version 2 after November 4, 2021 at full price. We are not including those who purchased during a sale because with the 50% upgrade you are still paying less than most of those who purchased version 2 at full price. If you'd like this 70% discount you can send an email to support@opsive.com with your invoice number and I'll send you a coupon to the Opsive Store. Purchases made on the Opsive Store cannot transfer to the Asset Store. The Asset Store doesn't allow for coupons.

Overall we have received really positive feedback about version 3 and are happy with the number of upgrades. We really thank you for your support - we are a small team and these upgrades really make the Asset Store more sustainable. These upgrades help us maintain the asset and also help us be able to develop new projects, such as the one that will be announced early next year. This project is an extremely innovative project that should really help a lot of indies with one aspect of the game development process.

I completely understand Justin on this paid matter. Think what it would cost if you hire a programmer for this .