Version 2.1.1 Release

This is great! I have read the doc about the FixedUpdate (default) or LateUpdate, but would be great a brief explanation of pros and cons of both types, and in witch scenario we should use one or the other.

FixedUpdate is similar to if you were to set AnimatePhysics on the Animator, whereas LateUpdate is similar to the standard Update method. LateUpdate will never be deterministic but depending on your physics timestep it could run less which will increase performance. Eventually I'll probably completely remove this separate property from the AnimatorMonitor and just use the property set on the Animator but since it's the first iteration of adding in LateUpdate I wanted to keep it separate for now.

Thanks very much, and what exactly means that a character controller is deterministic? You may point out to a external source that explains that so you don't have to

Deterministic means that if you run the simulation multiple times you'll get the same results. By updating the animator within LateUpdate it no longer updates at a fixed interval so the results may be different, especially if you are using root motion. Determinism is most important for server authoritative networking implementations so the client and server and be in sync with each other.

Just out of curiosity. If I am making a single player game (with up to 20-30 TPC AI controlled enemies), could I remove the deterministic manager to improve performance? Is it a bad idea to remove determinism? I am very early in development so I haven't focused on performance yet, but just wondering if it is something I should consider

On Single Player you can run on Late Update (No deterministic ) and the performance increases. You may target now around 15 Agents depending your target hardware and framerate. (This is only my personal experience)

Update: Apparently I did something wrong the first time I imported 2.1.1. It turned out just fine the second time I installed it.

It seems like the animator changes in 2.1.1 did not work out for my current setup. All of the animations that I have added externally seem to be working fine, but the animations that originally stem from UCC will place the character back into a sitting pose. When I debug the animator states, it seems to be entirely normal.

For example, when I am trying to make the character run or crouch, the character will go into that sitting pose and freeze. My idle animation and attack animations are external animations, and these seem to be working fine.

Do you think this may have to do with the changes to the deterministic controller changes? Any idea how it may be fixed? If I cannot fix it, I will go back to 2.1.0 to continue prototyping.

Last edited:
@Justin , just to note that the asset store still lists unity 5.6.2 as supported, which was not my understanding after v2?
Version 2.1 only supports 2017.3+, but I left the 2.0 package on the store so if you have an older version of Unity it'll revert to that.

Has anyone tried UCC 2.1.1 with Unity 2018.3.7f1 yet? Since Unity released an update to address the security flaw that was found.

It seems like the integration with DSU is still giving the same compiler error at 2.1.1 as it did for 2.1.0. You had suggested two game object references in the interactable object earlier, which worked great. Is the problem on the integration package side?

It seems like the integration with DSU is still giving the same compiler error at 2.1.1 as it did for 2.1.0. You had suggested two game object references in the interactable object earlier, which worked great. Is the problem on the integration package side?
I tried a fresh project with the latest Dialogue System integration and it worked. I would try downloading the integration package again.