Using cinemachine and rotating the character

andrewpmoore

I've purchased third person controller today and I'm making good progress with it with the tutorial videos and trying to trigger the abilities.

My game already has a basic character controller in it that I plan to replace with this.
I'm currently using cinemachine with several virtual cameras in a 3d isometric view.

I can tell from the documentation that I should still be able to use it but I'm not quite sure how.

Also I'm trying to work out which Third Person movement to use.

It's for a mobile app where I'm trying to keep the button count really low.
By default the character will run forward in the direction they are facing. I'm wanting pressing "left" to rotate them left, "right" to rotate them right and then when "left" and "right" are both pressed, the character should walk backwards.

Here's a video to demonstrate:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BCJm2xbqxFRUwwCG8

Any pointers in which controller to use and if any modifications to it would be great.
Thanks

Have you imported the Cinemachine integration?

It's for a mobile app where I'm trying to keep the button count really low.
By default the character will run forward in the direction they are facing. I'm wanting pressing "left" to rotate them left, "right" to rotate them right and then when "left" and "right" are both pressed, the character should walk backwards.
There isn't a Movement Type that moves the character backwards when both left and right are pressed but if you have scripting experience it should be a pretty minimal change to add one:

I would start with the Third Person Combat movement type and modify from there.

Thanks for the cinemachine link.
I'm making progress with creating my own MovementType to do most of what I need. What setting controls the players head direction? I just want it to always point in the direction the player is going?

Last edited:
I got the character handling working, but I'm still having trouble with cinemachine.
On those instructions where is says "Import the Cinemachine integration package. "
Where's that located, I can't find it anywhere.

The bottom of the Cinemachine docs contains a link depending on which asset you have :)

I've found the link, but sent you an email because I can't get my invoice ID from the asset store validated to get the actual download.

Scrap that, didn't realise it was different download pages per version so must have entered the invoice in from a different link

Last edited:
I've found the link, but sent you an email because I can't get my invoice ID from the asset store validated to get the actual download.

Scrap that, didn't realise it was different download pages per version so must have entered the invoice in from a different link

Different link for the Opsive integration for Cinemachine ? I have Cinemachine 2.1.10, would you mind sharing this link ?

best,