Unity XR Rig

kakayaga

Are there any plans to rewrite the VR-Addon packages to use Unity's XR Rig system or something similar? There are various issues with the add-on, and despite following the suggestions in the discussions, I have not been able to resolve them.

The controls are the most serious problem. When I use Oculus Link to run my game, my controller works perfectly. When I export my game as an APK to my Quest, however, none of the buttons work. Unity treats Oculus Quest and Oculus Rift buttons the same, so I don't think it's a mapping issue. I tried utilizing an input manager that someone else recommended, but that also didn't work.

The Unity XR Rig makes use of device-agnostic action-based inputs. This would eliminate the need to create the individual device mappings for the VR-Addon. I have tested the Unity XR Rig with my quest, and the controls work both thru Oculus Link and as an APK. As a result, the majority of the control input issues impacting Oculus Quest users will be resolved. You also do not need an Qculus Quest to test these changes since you mentioned you currently do not own a Quest.

The Unity XR Rig also has better tracking capabilities. Many users have complained about the hands being too high with the default settings. I can lower the hands by changing the offset, but the tracking is still inaccurate. When I sit down vs. when I stand up, I need to use different offset values. I don't have these issues when I use the Unity XR Rig. The hands appear in the right location regardless of whether or not I'm sitting or standing.

Finally, I have not been able to use the Unity XR Rig with the Ultimate Character Controller together. Following this guide, I was able to get locomotion, teleport, and snap turning to work with the Unity XR Rig. I'm able to move Nolan Left and Nolan Right in VR after attaching them. However, the hands don't respond to any of the controllers, so I cannot grip, use the weapons, or any other abilities.

Justin

Administrator
Staff member
I do have using the new XR Rig on my list, but other items have had a higher priority so I haven't been able to get to it yet. It would make supporting newer hardware easier.

Finally, I have not been able to use the Unity XR Rig with the Ultimate Character Controller together. Following this guide, I was able to get locomotion, teleport, and snap turning to work with the Unity XR Rig. I'm able to move Nolan Left and Nolan Right in VR after attaching them. However, the hands don't respond to any of the controllers, so I cannot grip, use the weapons, or any other abilities.
The hand positions are controlled by the HandHandler component - it uses the VRInputTracker to grab the locations within the UpdateLocation method. The VRInputTracker then uses InputTracking.GetNodeStates to get the actual position. Maybe this will help with debugging?

fdmaker

I do have using the new XR Rig on my list, but other items have had a higher priority so I haven't been able to get to it yet. It would make supporting newer hardware easier.

Hey Justin. Happy new year.

So a quick question. Any ballpark ETA on a VR update?
I could still be deving with this kit awaiting the update...
cheers.

Justin

Administrator
Staff member
I really don't like to post ETAs as they are so hard to get right.

With that said, do either of you have development experience with the XR rig? If so we may be able to work together in order to start supporting it - I am also willing to put money behind this and pay for the help. This could be a good solution as it would get the update out sooner while I am able to focus on my current backlog.

fdmaker

I really don't like to post ETAs as they are so hard to get right.

With that said, do either of you have development experience with the XR rig? If so we may be able tow work together in order to start supporting it - I am also willing to put money behind this and pay for the help. This could be a good solution as it would get the update out sooner while I am able to focus on my current backlog.
Hey there. Ya I hear ya on the timelines and all. You do seem to have a lot to manage there with all these kits for sure. As a single dev myself I soooo understand how it all goes.

But yeah I am fully onboard with getting this going and will help out anyway I can. I have a big testing, general unity and Pm/art background, but am a tad soft on the hard C# skillz. (maybe about a 5 on the scale of 1-10)

I have a testing lab here that can do whatever, whenever is needed and I do have a contract coder that I work with that is sorta up on all this (worked with him before on setting up VR controls to work with old RFPS and he vaguely looked at UFPS and VR at the beginning) that could come onboard easy enough if need be. I'd have to check.

I think a lot of folks would like to use this on the quest and I sure would (I'm mod on a bunch of dev forums and this specific topics comes up occasionally) So anything I can do I'm onboard with. I also bet a bunch of folks on the discord would throw in as well If we put the call out.

Kakayaga...You up?

Cheers.