Third person adventure camera has odd snapping behavior when orbiting

wilg

I'm seeing this strange behavior when orbiting the third person adventure camera. I tried adjusting the various camera spring settings but couldn't figure out what any of them really did, and I saw no effect.

Here's a screen capture:

The undesirable effect is where the character moves off-center while orbiting and then snaps back when the controls are released.

Also, I would really appreciate clearer documentation and examples, because I have a lot of trouble figuring out how things are supposed to work from the docs or sample scene. There are lots of settings and they are not very well documented. I really like the asset's features but I do find it relatively unintuitive. Other assets I've used are typically much easier to figure out by playing with the settings and reading the docs.

Here's my inspector settings.

Screen Shot 2018-12-21 at 7.25.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-21 at 7.25.37 PM.png

This looks related to the input/view type smoothing. You can try adjusting the input smoothing on the Unity Input component, and then also the Position Smoothing on the View Type.

Also, I would really appreciate clearer documentation and examples, because I have a lot of trouble figuring out how things are supposed to work from the docs or sample scene. There are lots of settings and they are not very well documented. I really like the asset's features but I do find it relatively unintuitive. Other assets I've used are typically much easier to figure out by playing with the settings and reading the docs.
Do you have a specific example on this? I've been beefing up the documentation as I see common questions on the forum but there is a lot to the controller. It definitely takes some time to understand the flow of how everything fits together but if you start with the videos and then move into the text documentation you should have a pretty good idea.

Okay, great it was the "Position Smoothing" on the view type. This generally makes sense to me. Somehow I missed that one, I thought I tried everything!

I apologize for my comments about the docs not being particularly actionable, I'm not sure exactly why I'm finding them a bit confusing. I did watch the videos and read pretty much all the docs, and poke around the example scene. In this case, I was looking at https://opsive.com/support/document.../view-types/included-view-types/third-person/ and couldn't figure out which option might be affecting me. In that particular case, the description for each field is pretty much just a restatement of its name. I think maybe some of them are obvious if you're familiar with industry-standard character controller concepts or something, but I think it could be helpful to explain them further. A way to approach that could be to make sure each field contains as detailed a description as possible of the concept, plus some information on what the behavior will be if the value is very high or very low, and some examples of why you might set the value in particular ways. At least for me, I find the best way to learn about parameters in a complex system is to just have documentation contain examples (or in a scripting environment, example code) of various ways that you might use a feature.

Hopefully that makes sense and thanks for the prompt help!