Swapping AnimatorController at runtime

chrisk

Hi, Justin,

I'm sure everyone will need to modify/extend the Demo Animator and I first tried replacing the AnimatorController with mine, but all of my attempts failed.
When I change runtimeAnimatorController and revert back to the Demo AnimatorController, the Animator gets into a bad state.
You recommended me to directly modify the UCC Animator, so I did. But I also run into an issue.
It makes merging new UCC very difficult.
Merging Animator is not like cut-and-paste but you will have to re-link the transitions between the new and UCC's.
Not only that, but I have to re-type all parameters again.
It took me a while to integrate it and I'm afraid it will only get worse.

I believe you mentioned you will take a look at fixing it. Could you please support runtime animator swap?

Also, I think UCC can benefit by having simpler animator setup depends on the situation rather than one gigantic AnimatorController. For example, while you are swimming or hanging, you will only need certain animations.

Thank you very much.

chrisk

Hi, Justin,

I'm using several 3rd party assets that have its own animation controller and having a hard time synchronizing with UCC AnimatorController.
You suggested writing a custom script like you did for the AgilityPack but it's not that easy to write scripts and they are error-prone.
There are several parameters that share the same name and I must resolve the name somehow.
And when you put all the parameter in one long list, it's hard to tell which came from which.
Not being able to swap out the Animator Controller feels more like a bug.
I wish UCC can support swapping out AnimatorController during runtime and it will save lots of headaches for us.
For example, a vehicle controller has nothing to do with normal UCC animation while driving, likewise, swimming, climbing and so on.
It's just too much work to keep as one gigantic AnimatorController.
I appreciate your support to make our life a bit easier.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Justin

Administrator
Staff member
Merging threads - I currently do not have an update on this but will let you know when I do.