Strafe and jump animation seems incorrect in 2.1.1

Hi Fenda - this is the aim jump animation and I haven't changed it recently. Nolan stays in the same relative position for aim movement so that his chest is rotated correctly for attacking and aiming. For the strafe his left leg always stays in front so even when jumping to the left his overall position is similar but he does lift a different leg. Let me know if you have any questions!

Hi @Sarah - thanks for the reply. So I am actually seeing Nolan start with the Aim ability active as soon as it spawns in the UFPSDemo scene. So I deleted the asset locally, re-downloaded and imported into a fresh Unity project and still getting the same. If it makes a difference, there seems to be some warnings when importing the asset (see screenshot below).

Separately, if I force Nolan out of the Aim state, I see an odd animation where if you hold LEFT strafe and hit jump, the character flicks right momentarily. Here is another video showing the bug. Any ideas whats happening?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ubbc2wgo76yci2v/capture2.zip?dl=0

Screenshot (10).png

Hi @Fenda - By default the aim state is always active for first person mode since a weapon is always in view (except for body) which forces first person into aim movement for movement and jump/fall. The reason why you see an odd animation now for the jumping when forcing Nolan out of the aim state is that the first person jump is set up to start immediately. If you look at the jump left or jump right substates, since the jump starts immediately the AbilityIntData = 0 so it forces it to go directly to the Aim Jump state instead of Jump Start > Jump. So basically Nolan's movement has been forced out of aim, but you still have to change jump and fall to behave that way.

To change this, under Nolan's Jump Ability > States > FirstPerson > FirstPersonJumpPreset - check the box to Wait for Animation Event. This will allow first person to perform like third person does when not in the aim state for jump.

You'd also need to change the preset under Nolan's Fall Ability > States > FirstPerson > FirstPersonFallPreset - and check the box to Wait for Animation Event as well.

Those warnings shouldn't effect anything, I haven't seen those but will look in to them. Thanks for sending!

Let me know if you have any other questions or if what I said doesn't make sense :)

@Sarah Thanks again for the detailed reply. With Aim disabled and FirstPersonJumpPreset/FirstPersonFallPreset set to Wait for Animation Event, I am still seeing Nolan turn right momentarily just before landing when strafing left and jumping.

Perhaps it'll help if I detail our use case a little more. We've got a multiplayer game where your character (in first person) is visible by other people (in third person). There is a head torch in the game, that is set as a child of the ORG-head. For the most part its working great, its just this one animation.

What then happens is the flashlight flicks awkwardly in first person because your body rotates right and in third person it also looks slightly odd. It does look great when strafe jumping right, though.

@Fenda - sorry you are still running into that issue. It makes sense why you wouldn't want that movement in your game! Since you've modified the animator for your game, it has something to do with how you've disabled aim. When I disabled aim (just by unchecking it) and checked both of those presets he correctly strafe jumps left and right.

You can debug the animator to make sure Nolan is going into the correct jump and fall states. In your case it would be under the Jump Left substate and Fall Left substate. In debug mode you can make sure he isn't going into any weird states and adjust from there. Hope that helps!

@Fenda - Hi Fenda, I was looking into this a bit more and I noticed that in the FallWalkStrafeRight animation his head is facing the opposite way it should. I've been testing out the left side and his head stays in the say location (testing with IK turned off). I fixed the FallWalkStrafeRight animation so that will be in the next update.

Are you sure it is the left side? Just want to double check since I noticed his head was definitely rotated the wrong way in that strafe right animation. If you debug the animator when it happens you can see the exact point when that occurs.

@Sarah - Great, glad you found an issue with the head and can fix it in the next update. I looked into the animator controller and found the issue that is causing Nolan to swing right mid-air. See screenshot attached that shows the transition conditions not including Aiming = true.

Attachments

• Screenshot (11).png
    Screenshot (11).png
    434.7 KB · Views: 6
@Fenda - Yeah that issue only happens with IK turned off, but will definitely be in the next update.

Glad you figured out why it was causing Nolan to swing right! In the demo controller that condition of Aiming = true isn't needed as by default in First Person mode Aiming is always set to true and Nolan will only go to that state in First Person. If you set those presets though he shouldn't be going into that "Aim Jump" state at all, he should be using regular "Jump Start". Nolan goes straight into the "Aim Jump" when the jump preset state of "Wait for Animation Event" is unchecked (which is the default state).