Runtime Trail

I was trying to set up a runtime Katana pickup object. It seems to be working fine, but I could not figure out how to add the trail object to it. The prefab does not accept any object from the scene, and I cannot keep a childed trail in the trail. I could not find a hint for this in the videos.

It would be nice to have a "bonus" addition to the Runtime video to show how that would be done. Or it might just be straightforward and I am not seeing it.

Thank you for the help.

Have you gotten it working without runtime pickup? I would start with there first.

The trail doesn't need to reference any character objects so the setup should be the same as what is done in the sword video.

Have you gotten it working without runtime pickup? I would start with there first.

The trail doesn't need to reference any character objects so the setup should be the same as what is done in the sword video.

Yes, I am following the tutorial videos in order. I had got it to work with sword and dagger.

When you create a runtime pickup object, there is no object in hierarchy, and therefore there is nothing to parent the trail. The prefab of the runtime katana does not accept any objects from the hierarchy, and it only accepts a prefab. If I try to introduce the trail location as a prefab (first create in the scene under Katana Runtime, then prefab it) it does accept it, but the prefab only shows down to one child. But the trail needs to be childed under Third Person Katana, which is already the child of Katana_Runtime, so it will actually not be possible to see in the project editor as a prefab.

Have you been able to add a trail to a runtime pickup prefab?
1538012531107.png

So I went back to the demo scene (ss below) to figure out how you had done it on the runtime pickup for Katana. I noticed that the trail effect is actually working on that Katana. When I look at the prefab, it also does not show the trail in the project editor (it shows only one cascade of children, and the trail is two layers below). So how did you introduce the trail location to the prefab?

1538012998127.png

The trail location was added manually, as a child of the Third Person Katana prefab.

Thank you, I have figured it out. I was confused about the fact that a prefab was already created when the item creation for the runtime item was done.