Rucksack Integration

chrisk

Hi, Justin,

It's been known that Rucksack integration has been in the work for quite some time.
I had chat with Joris to find out where it stands and he mentioned that the integration is almost done except a few things.

This is what Joris said,

UCC has an inventory abstraction so it should be easier to implement for custom inventory solutions like Rucksack; However, there appears to be some unintended behavior of equipping / un-equipping on start, as well as the method signatures being a little confusing to me

I believe Joris and you are talking over this matter but it seems that he will need some help from you to finalize the integration.

I'm bit worried because just like happened with FinalIK integration; I thought you were talking to Partel but it turned out that both of you were relying on each other for the responsibility

Anyway, earlier I had few problems with UCC inventories because UCC inventory system is very basic. I decided to wait until what Rucksack has to offer.

I hope you would support Joris to help finish the integration and I'll appreciate for your help on his behalf. ^^

Cheers!

Joris did send me the integration but I haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

Poor Justin, I can't imagine you are under high stress. I can only ask so much and I hope you can find some opportunity.
Cheers!

Justin, have you had a chance to review it? Not sure how long it will take Joris to finish the integration even if you help him, so I hope he gets going soon.

Thanks.

Hi, Justin, there are quite a few who are waiting for RS integration. I will really appreciate if you can take a look so that Joris can get started.
Thanks.

I haven't used Rucksack before so it'll take some time for me to learn how it works in order to answer all of Joris' questions and help with a proper integration. I hope to be able to look at Rucksack after FinalIK/UMA, but I don't have an ETA on that. I know that some of these integrations are taking me awhile but I want to make sure they are done right and not rush it. There's just not enough time in the day :)

Understood, however, it will take a while for him to finish the integration and I hope he gets the necessary support sooner than later.

Here is my take.
UCC inventory is quite rudimentary, and as we discussed before UCC is not really designed for the extensive inventory system.
Many will have to write their own inventory system or rely on some 3rd party product like RS.
Even though the Inventory system is rudimentary, a related Item system is probably the most complicated system in UCC and I had a hard time understanding it in the beginning.

Whether you write your own inventory system or integrate RS, it will be necessary for UCC to provide some extension mechanisms.
So for UCC's own benefit, I'm sure having RS support will help to make it more extensible.
I find that many of the codes are written in such matter that it's not really extensible, as if UCC itself is the final consumer.

I'm not sure if it involves exposing some variables or functions, but I'm sure it will be more than just that.
Given that it requires some core changes, it is better to have the changes are implemented sooner than later so that it has less percussions.

Thanks.

Hi, I want to repost here two messages about RuckSack from another thread about Inventory PRO.

The first:
Hi, All.
Just a message from DevDog about UCC and RuckSack integration:

1574284267090.png

You can read this here:

The Second:
I talked to Joris and we agreed that it makes sense until after we release version 2.2 of the controller. Version 2.2 will contain a new inventory API to support our inventory system.