Retargetting arms animations

MA551MM0

Hi,

I have read through the documentation and forum and haven't found anything that answers my question so I'm hoping you could help.

We are using UCC and have retargeted the third person Nolan character successfully onto 3 other different proportioned humanoid characters using Mecanim retargeting stuff in Unity. It was straight forward and we're really impressed with the plugin.

One of the key reasons for us choosing the controller is to make sure of the many animations that are contained within as that represents a ton of man effort to create which we'd like to avoid.

The first person arms do not use a humanoid rig and so cannot be retargeted using Mecamin in the same way. This makes it very difficult to make use of the many animations you have in UCC on different proportioned characters in first person.

Is there any way of doing this, or getting the arm anims on a full humanoid compliant rig?

You can't retarget the Nolan arms animations because it is generic. What I have done is used FPS mesh tool and created two copies of the FPS mesh. On 1, I hide the arms and head. On 2, I hide the head and body. I then used the demo animator controller on both the character and First Person Arms (both humanoid). This works to make the First Person Arms humanoid, which is what I am doing. Make sure you set the Position Offset on whatever Item is equipped (First Person Perspective Item component) as the Y value will need to be lowered because the arms will be too high with the humanoid rig. I also used UMotion to adjust the animations on the First Person Arms to get a better result.

I like this method because the arm animations can be retargeted with the humanoid rig.