[Request] Toggle to retain original velocity while airborn

Janooba

As it works now, the player maintains complete control over their airborne velocity direction, similar to Source Engine games. While this works for a lot of cases, I'd like to see a toggle somewhere under Physics or Motor in the Ultimate Character Locomotion script that allows us to set whether the velocity is shifted with rotations or maintains its original world trajectory.

I've taken a pretty deep look at the codebase, and it seems trying to get this affect using abilities or movement types would require a lot of hacky work-arounds. Not to mention the fact that an Ability just seems like the completely wrong place to define general movement rules. This is what leads me to request this as a feature instead.

Current Behaviour:

What I'd Like:

Edit:
I am aware of this thread: https://opsive.com/forum/index.php?threads/question-about-character-locomotion-on-ice.986/
I find it counter-intuitive to use an ability to add forces in order to simulate leftover velocity. If this is what I must do, I guess I will make it work, but it really does seem finicky.

Last edited:
If you set the acceleration force while in the air to 0 then the character will continue on in the same direction no matter which direction you look.

Or do you want the character to continue to be able to accelerate in their existing velocity direction regardless of the look direction?

Ideally I would like to allow the player to affect the trajectory a little, but even with those settings set to zero, I still find the direction being redirected to forward view:

5f7614b07f.png

I will take a look at to see why the character can still rotate when the acceleration/damping is zero. Can you explain what you mean by allowing the player to affect trajectory a little? What is a little?

Preferably, it would be a float between 0 and 1, where 1 allows the player to use their movement keys to completely control the direction of air movement, and 0 leaves the player completely at the whims of physics.

This is what I expect would happen if you held D (right) after jumping, with the value at a medium level:
Note that my overall airspeed/velocity stays after I let go of the button. It does not return to my original velocity when I left the ground.

Given the current Motor system, it'll probably be more intuitive as an Acceleration value. I understand that the current Air Acceleration and Dampening do this already, but currently they kind of bounce back. It's hard to explain, but I can provide a video of that if you'd like.

Thanks for the details - I have this on my list to look at for the next update. I'll let you know if I have any more questions when I get into it :)