PUN 2 Long term

Vlaxep

Hi, generic post here.

Just wondering what the short and long term Photon/Networking support is looking like with Opsive?

Is there anything just over the hill (ie. I get the feeling PUN 2 is more of a 'legacy' product now is that right?)
like Fusion/Quantum other Photon products that may be worth waiting for?

Just wanting to know for future planning of projects and what will be the best option for networking in next 2 years for example.

Love your work
Cheers.

(PS I hope PUN 2 is a good long term as I'm semi-comfortable with it now after much frustration.

But as I'm not necessarily looking at releasing anything soon I want to be prepared for any great change/learning curve!)

I know that Photon has started to phase out PUN so I imagine that they'll eventually remove it from the Asset Store. Until then I plan on continuing to maintain the PUN add-on.

Any other technologies will take a new add-on and I'm not able to look at a new networking implementation right now but will evaluate the offerings when I am able to look at it.

@Justin thanks.

I actually just had some really positive feedback from PUN discord... essentially:

- Yep , don’t feel obliged to switch to fusion even though there is no development to come for pun I’m sure there will be lots of devs still here to help
- We won't stop supporting PUN/PUN2
- It is in LTS mode, and will keep receiving bug fixes

Seems like support will continue strongly, despite no large updates, and still very user/beginner friendly.

Also some good comments from PUN 2 people converting or starting now on Fusion, saying it isn't too hard to update to Fusion (the replacement).

Gives me great confidence to continue with PUN 2 considering he Opsive Add-On handles soooo much!

Also due to many high player count games using PUN they are obliged to keep it operating in good nick!

Fusion actually looks pretty nice. It'll be interesting to see how it competes with Unity's Netcode.

Is Fusion available for Unity at the moment?

Last edited: