Problems with Camera Setup, Item Types, etc.

jnbbender

I just purchased UFPS 2 and performed a clean import. I have my character and when I watch the instructional videos UFPS2 Getting Started I have a number of issues. First, when simply setting up the camera there is no profile option other than (None). Second, a new Item Type does not show up unless I restart Unity. Next, when I create a weapon according to the tutorial videos, I can see nothing. The weapon appears as an Item underneath the Characters' Items Transform but it is not visible and the character does not appear to even attempt to hold anything.
Any ideas?

Last edited:
That video goes quicker through the settings so I would start with this video:

This will walk you through setting everything up from scratch. What version of Unity are you using? I'm not able to reproduce the ItemType not showing up unless you restart Unity.

The weapon appears as an Item underneath the Characters' Items Transform but it is not visible and the character does not appear to even attempt to hold anything.
This page has a good list of things to check if your item is not equipping:

That video goes quicker through the settings so I would start with this video:

This will walk you through setting everything up from scratch. What version of Unity are you using? I'm not able to reproduce the ItemType not showing up unless you restart Unity.

This page has a good list of things to check if your item is not equipping:

I don't know if this problem was solved but this was not answered at all considering I have had the same problem for a long time so I think it may be a bug. The item type just doesn't get created properly after pressing create, therefore, the item is not visible. When you use the demo item collection it works fine but once you create a new one it doesn't work at all. A lot of times I have duplicated the demo item collection but sometimes it still doesn't work.

I created some new videos for version 2.2 and with those videos I created a new item collection and didn't notice any problems. Can you record a quick video showing it not working? If it is a bug I definitely want to get it fixed but I think that everything is working.

One issue is that there are a lot of configuration steps related to items so it's easy to miss a step. In version 2.2 I added more help boxes so it should reduce the number of times that the items are misconfigured. Combine that with the new videos and everything should go smoother :)

I created some new videos for version 2.2 and with those videos I created a new item collection and didn't notice any problems. Can you record a quick video showing it not working? If it is a bug I definitely want to get it fixed but I think that everything is working.

One issue is that there are a lot of configuration steps related to items so it's easy to miss a step. In version 2.2 I added more help boxes so it should reduce the number of times that the items are misconfigured. Combine that with the new videos and everything should go smoother :)

Yeah, I have watched the videos a lot of times and not a novice at this system now but it hasn't worked for me for a while. A lot of times I have to use the demo item collection. I don't know how to record a video to show you. I had software to do this but had lost a lot of things.

I worked out how to do a video but it, not the best kind but hopefully you can see the problem. The screen didn't capture the mouse though ok.

When I duplicate the demo item collection it works as expected.

Last edited:
Thanks for that video. If you click on the inventory component does it say that the unarmed item type is equipped?

Can you send that scene to support@opsive.com? I should only need the unique assets, mainly the models, item collection, and unarmed animator controller.

The Unarmed one is greyed out but it is showing it in inventory. I'm not using custom models to send through though. When I do create the item collection and put in the body item it doesn't have an arrow to show in the project view but if I open up the demo item collection the arrow comes about.

Attachments

• greyedout.PNG
    greyedout.PNG
    4 KB · Views: 4
  • inventory.PNG
    inventory.PNG
    41.5 KB · Views: 4
  • NoArrow.PNG
    NoArrow.PNG
    2.4 KB · Views: 4
I think it may be a Unity bug because if I save the newly created item collection in the same folder as the demo item collection then click on the arrow of the demo item collection the newly created item collection then kind of refreshes then you add it to the item set manager on player character then it all works. But I have used different versions of unity and this still happens so its nothing to do with the unity versions.

Your default loadout has the body item type, but when you created the item you used the Unarmed item type so I'm not sure why body is being added instead of unarmed. It should even know about the body item type.

Your default loadout has the body item type, but when you created the item you used the Unarmed item type so I'm not sure why body is being added instead of unarmed. It should even know about the body item type.

I named the item type Body not named. Unnamed is the models first-person arms name.

Sorry I did that scene again to try to get it to work that's why it was unarmed instead of body. I keep on redoing the scene but still doesn't work unless I do the things I said in my second last post.

Can you send me a repro scene to support@opsive.com with your Unarmed setup? I can then take a closer look at what is happening.

I have sent through the file ok. I used opsive controller assets ok but for the ground, I did use probuilder. I forgot to mention that in the email. I worked out that if I put my created item collection, not in a file it all works but when I do put it in a file it doesn't work.