Press E to pick up

ashulgach

Is there a way to disable automatic pick up for runtime objects but instead have ALL weapons be equipped with a interaction prompt?

On the item pickup component you can disable pickup on trigger enter and then it'll require the ability in order to pick up.

Disabling "pickup on trigger enter" and adding the "Pickup Item" doesn't have any results. The character walks through the item with no prompt, and when looking at it, there is no pop up, and the interact (action) button doesn't react.1605660569061.png1605660585813.png

Sounds like the trigger itself is not being detected - you can check this by logging in DetectObjectAbilityBase.OnTriggerEnter. Also check that the Object ID parameter in your pickup ability is -1.

It doesn't seem to be detecting the trigger at all. The layers are set correct on the items and the layer mask, but when I enter the trigger of the runtime objects it doesn't trigger. By default, wouldn't the character controller have these settings set?

If in the demo scene you change the Pickup Item ability to a Button Down start type instead of manual the character will pickup the assault rifle when you press F instead of automatically. I recommend comparing your settings to that of the demo scene with this setup.

Hi @Justin @Andrew looking at this problem right now too.

I've set the 'Pickup' ability Detect Layers to 'everything' as detection wasn't working before.

Now I'm wondering how to get a prompt to pickup? Should I be getting a prompt when inside the trigger but not yet picked up?

I only get the message after pickup.....

Where are you setting the prompt text? On the ItemPickup component, the text will be displayed after picking it up. But you can set the UI text on the pickup ability itself, which will be shown before.

Ah I see thanks @Andrew , however I need a unique prompt for each item.

I've created my own custom setup by duplicating the Monitors > Message and removing the Monitor script and controlling it manually based on trigger enter,exit, destroy, disable.

Actually probably better this way any way as I need to use text mesh pro which the UCC doesn't utilise right?