Photon Integration

chrisk

Hi, Justin, I created a thread to talk about the upcoming Photon integration.

My wish is to see the upcoming Unity's new network stack based on dedicated server architecture, however, I understand that it will take quite some time until it matures.

Anyway, it looks like there are quite a handful of different Photon versions out there.

I think the only viable Photon version is Photon Bolt for its authoritative client and possibility to turn it into a dedicated/client-hosted server.

I suppose Photon Bolt is the version you are thinking of integrating, am I right?

I've looked at Photon PUN but it's based on p2p relay service and there is no way to guard against hacking. It will be good for lan-type of game where hacking is not an issue but if the developer is a bit serious about the hacking issue, it cannot be an option.

Anyway, I just want to make sure what we are waiting for. Besides the high licensing cost(if you want to make a successful commercial game), Photon Bolt can be a good alternative to Unity's new network stack. Its authoritative client architecture somewhat can be transferred over to Unity's new network stack easier then Photon PUN's p2p architecture when it becomes available.

Thanks for your dedication as always and I'm really looking forward to the multiplay support.

Cheers!

UFPS version 1 supported PUN so that's what I am going to focus on first. You are correct in that it is client-authoritative first. I've talked to the Photon guys and they also recommended supporting PUN first since it is their more popular product. The Bolt integration will be similar to the new Unity networking implementation though so once I get going on one of those integrations the other should be somewhat similar.

So after you integrate PUN first, is it going to be either Bolt or Unity? or is it more like PUN -> Bolt -> Unity?

They just turned Bolt as a free product and I have no doubt that it will be more popular than PUN soon. Developer with the right mind will use Bolt over PUN unless they want to make a lan-party game. We didn't have Bolt as a free choice but now we do. I hope UCC architecture is flexible enough to accommodate both PUN and Bolt but they work fundamentally different and I'm afraid integrating PUN will not save you any time to integrate Bolt afterward.

Therefore, I'll strongly vote against PUN. I wish you reconsider doing Bolt first if you really want us to make a commercially serviceable game.

I am not sure of the order - just trying to get one thing done first :)

I didn't realize that Bolt was now free. When I get started on the project after the 2.1 release I'll first send a message to the Exit Games guys and ask which one they recommend going with first. I'll then go with whatever their recommendation is.

Yeah, they turned it free a couple of months ago and I didn't know that either. https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/?stay#!/content/127156
I wasn't even considering Photon but I guess, it's viable now. Thanks to Unity pushing the new network stack and Photon had to respond. ^^

I'm sure the answer from Exit Games guys will be different depends on the purpose of the game.

Anyway, my game can't be based on p2p relay. Please have mercy on me~

Last edited:
Yeah, I fully agree with you. Bolt is really made for TPS/FPS and Action games. It seems like it's really designed for UCC.

PUN is just a quick and dirty way to get the multiplayer working but that's about it.

No updates - I likely won't be looking at any other networking integrations until late next year at the earliest. We have a couple of other major updates to get out first :)