Photon Fusion

nathanj

Hi Justin

Have you had a chance to think about Photon Fusion and how that will effect the PUN support going forward?

Thanks,
Nathan

What is Photon Fusion? I didn't see anything relevant come up in my search.

Hi,

I got an email a few weeks ago about it, looks promising but would replace the exisiting PUN integration completely. If you want me to forward you the original email just let me know.

Thanks again,
Nathan

Photon Fusion: Reinventing State Synchronization for Unity​

Our state-sync based products PUN and BOLT enabled our community to create stunning games. They have been the foundation of our goal “we make multiplayer simple”, but their design decisions are now over 6 years old.

Since a while we started working on a next generation product to use all our learnings and state of the art techniques. We are happy and proud to announce that a new Photon product is coming that will elevate state-sync multiplayer development on a whole new level: Photon Fusion.

• Convenient and easy-to-use. Fusion aims to be the easiest networking library for Unity to use.
  • Technologically superior. Fusion aims to be technologically the best library.
  • Flexible. Fusion will be one API to replace both PUN and Bolt, but it also needs to do more than them. It will support relay, custom relay, listen server (with host migration) and dedicated server.
  • Made for indies, pros and AAA studios

Or to put it simple: Fusion is how state-sync multiplayer game development should have worked ever since. Fusion will go in early access in Q1/2021 and in beta in Q2/2021.

Early access will be very selective. If you think you should be part of it: sign up now.

Interesting.. I won't really know much until after I see how much the API has changed. If it's significantly different then it'll take a new add-on. I'd like to keep the PUN add-on alive for as long as they keep PUN alive for.

Right now my priority is within Behavior Designer but if Fusion hasn't made public beta by the time I am able to take a look at it I'll reach out to my contact at Exit Games.

Thanks for letting me know!