Opsive really needs a polished tutorial series

harryben

There should be a video to follow along, to get a very polished level. An example would be like this one( I am aware there was a UFPS tutorial by Unity, but it really doesn't leverage UCC and BD good enough.):

Opsive solutions is able to do what Substance Suite by Allegorithmic, to Unity game dev, for its AI solutions. Yet, there is no one video to get you a AAA level, yet its all small pieces with relatively mobile graphics and experiences. I have been coding and doing Technical art for years in LA. a lot of it really comes down to a great presentation. You can make a 5-star meal, but underrepresented, so it ends up a local deli.

If I can make suggestions on what you should do in a tutorial series:

1.Good Art, at least URP, preferably HDRP. Add some scene settings. Models should look AAA. (I am a coder and technical art in LA. Yes I know this is not about UCC. But many key stuff come into play, how do we get a great looking Generic Main Character? How do we get AAA animation to work with this asset? these can be covered here)

2.Good level design. How do we design a level with BD effectively? We want the author to show us how to plot a fun level, with the traits of BD. How to design a level has to do with the specific technical limitation and pipeline. In this case, more about how to use dynamic graviy, teleport and BD effectively and efficiently? You need to show this to people. UE4.23 has tutorials on creating complex AI with Behaviour Tree.

3.Complex AI. Something like No One Lives Forever or Hitman series, even though it is GOAP.

If we can get a level like No One Lives Forever with a series of tutorial, that looks HDRP. I bet UCC is going to make way more difference, than going through all the integrations and add-ons.

This is what users can achieve with an asset in UE4:

Notice 7:05, picking up the gun and there is an speculation animation. Notice 7:31, the headshot particles and slowmo are on point.
UCC + BD can do the same and way more than that, yet the demo makes it feel like webgl. And how many developers who bought the asset, can say with confidence that even you get the AAA animations, you can make a level like shown in the video? Do you know what animation events, what state name and layer and how to chop up your animation to work like that with UCC? I bet 95% of user spent the money and will never get to this level. The author needs to show us.

UE tutorials is doing way better than this, this is just one of them. They are showing developers very clear path and things out of the box. I think it is wrong mentality that once developers buy an asset just dig through text based documentation. It should do better, if you look at Unreal Engine tutorials, you can get an extremely polished level, with great game mechanics and built in Behavior Tree AI. I know both engines, I see them as tools. Whichever tool presents me the least ressistence and labor on our team, I choose that one.

You'd be surprised by how many newbies and pros, judge based on what you are showing in Demo and tutorials. Companies and studios always do what's proven and shown, not digging to the knots and bolts. Opening a PDF for the business department is hard. They need to see a video on their phone. This is how the real world functions beyond indie hobbyist.

No tested product and obvious path is the killer for 95% of developers, newbie or pro. It is we all have to be wise with our technical decisions. A lot of it is not coding experience, but general rules to stick with whats proven. This has to be presented over-actively.

This is not an opsive thing, but I really hope Opsive can do something for this awesome suite, so that I can show it to my future project clients with confidence, because I followed along with 1.2 something with TPC version 1. I know it is a powerful suite, but a super polished tutorial as presentation is key.

Last edited:
We would love to do something like this but we have a limited manpower so it makes things really tough. The included demo scenes have to include support for the lowest version of Unity that we support (which is 2017.4) so this would need to be a completely separate asset. Right now we are also working on Behavior Designer 2 so that means that any tutorials within the next few months would go out of date extremely quickly.

If you have experience creating high fidelity tutorials though send me a PM and let's talk. We can definitely pay for this sort of thing :)

1.Good Art, at least URP, preferably HDRP. Add some scene settings. Models should look AAA. (I am a coder and technical art in LA. Yes I know this is not about UCC. But many key stuff come into play, how do we get a great looking Generic Main Character? How do we get AAA animation to work with this asset? these can be covered here)

I really want to know how to do this. I bought the Kubold Animation sets and I love them but I want to use these animations with UCC. The Kubold animations (he animated Gerald from the Witcher so he is no slouch) are amazing but it uses Playmaker and from what I can tell, UCC is so much more advanced.

I'm a noob but want to learn so much more.

I really want to know how to do this. I bought the Kubold Animation sets and I love them but I want to use these animations with UCC. The Kubold animations (he animated Gerald from the Witcher so he is no slouch) are amazing but it uses Playmaker and from what I can tell, UCC is so much more advanced.

I'm a noob but want to learn so much more.
If your not using playmaker just import the animations and the model it uses into unity.