Opsive Foundation [RPG Framework]

I am extremely interested in this. I currently own and have played around with MMORPG Kit, because the server architecture is distributed, but also because of its modularity and the fact it uses LiteNet, which I am a big fan of. The only issue really is the lack of UCC integration. What is the possibility of taking the Foundation RPG Framework along with UCC's integration and having the game be multiplayer using something like LiteNet? Does it seem like something that would be feasible?

I have used Atavism, MMORPG Kit, uMMORPG, and any other thing out there I could find, like Ork, PlyGame, etc, but the one thing none of them has is both multiplayer as well as UCC (it was TPC when I was using those other things). My ideal setup would be something like MMORPG Kit with it's distributed server setup, authoritative communication, physics and collider based damage, but with UCC running the show. I really like the ease of setup your framework has as well, which would be a huge bonus. I definitely look forward to seeing what comes of it, even if there is no ability for it to be multiplayer out of the box, perhaps I might be able to do something about that down the line.

That being said, I see the framework is currently on the asset store, I would imagine that the UCC parts of it are not available yet to the public to test out and play around with considering it was last updated in Oct?

Last edited:
Hi there, i never planned to have the asset support multiplayer, it will be offline or async multiplayer ( like mobile social games ) simply because it keep the scope realistic. it would be possible to add it yourself with out too much problem because of how its structured.

the asset currently on the asset is the base that RPG framework is built upon. it will be a separate plugin when published to the store.

for the one that still follow progress: i have completed skill ability & effect editor but mostly for players
now i'm wondering if i should make same for the npc/enemies?
do they need skills?
should i add abilities directly to the npc instead of a list of npc abilities?

I tried to keep npc and players to be the same for now they are identical, there movement is done by a vector2 value for example but player has an input interface while npc has an ai interface to set the movement, else they can have same race/class/faction/items. but for skills i feel its better to have a separation maybe ?

Hi there, i never planned to have the asset support multiplayer, it will be offline or async multiplayer ( like mobile social games ) simply because it keep the scope realistic. it would be possible to add it yourself with out too much problem because of how its structured.

the asset currently on the asset is the base that RPG framework is built upon. it will be a separate plugin when published to the store.

for the one that still follow progress: i have completed skill ability & effect editor but mostly for players
now i'm wondering if i should make same for the npc/enemies?
do they need skills?
should i add abilities directly to the npc instead of a list of npc abilities?

I tried to keep npc and players to be the same for now they are identical, there movement is done by a vector2 value for example but player has an input interface while npc has an ai interface to set the movement, else they can have same race/class/faction/items. but for skills i feel its better to have a separation maybe ?

I am following this very closely also. Good question you have because I know the AI I am using (Eliot AI)can assign skills to the NPC's and enemy, make them fight each other, make them melee, healers, what ever I need. If you are going to add it then I would give the people options if they want to assign skills to the NPC or enemy, I wouldn't add the abilities to them automatically. Let the designer of the game decide how they want to do it. In my eyes it is something that is not necessarily needed because as far as NPC's and enemies, they can easily be controlled by AI, all your framework would need to have is the ability of the NPC's to buy/sell/bank. Just my 2 cents.

For me if you did want to make skills for npc/Ai would it be possible to have it like an option you could turn off and on,
not at run time, just for people that will not use an AI system ? Kind of like a separate component if that makes sense ?

For me I will also want to be using Eliot AI, it has different features then BD and for the time being it seems to be easier to use.
they can have factions and new abilities depending on how you set them up, they can change during run time and yes cast magic of
both healer and destruct. I am hoping these can all work togther.

I check here every few day's.. Totally excited for when this comes out :)

for the players, you can set starting abilities, granted abilities with progression, you can earn and remove them (using book, trainer, any object)
for NPC, each ability will have function to test if they are usable ( for example heal ability: check enough mana, check can use if there is injured ally around )
I know its going to be very easy to integrate with BD, for eliot AI i will see that after i got the abilities done for players a least.

you will have the AI selectable ( default one or BD for now ) when injected into mechanics of the game you can configure it through a specific editor so you dont have to turn off the AI but select if you want to apply the default one or other integration and configure it into each npc ai section

Hi TinyTree! I'm looking forward to this!

Earlier you asked about the magic system. What I'd really like to see (and what I worked on in the past with TPC v1) would be utilizing something like Realistic Magic Effects packs for effects with UCC ties ins to handle all the different types of casting you might have (instant, self buff, channeled, dd projectile, dd ray / laser, dd casted, dot, hot, rain, targeted with ground reticle, arch - like the existing grenade system but to lob fireballs and such, shielding, etc...) Having that with easy to set up damage / healing messages would be awesome and save me tons of time!

This is going on my watch list and on my must buy ASAP list!

i made lot of progress this month, the skill and ability is working, i have started combat got damage heal buff and debuff effect working . and cleaned lot of logic to keep things under control.
Im wondering right now if there is real need for packing the combat logic in a swappable asset too so you could in a click change all combat from

• turn based
  • real time
  • make a fishing game without combat but where you damage fishes that are hooked to your line with QTE for example.
while your scene and other environment data and interaction stays the same. Im already using the swappable mechanics for opsive integration / basic character controller. but the combat is similar in this case.
Anyway i really feel this "combat" part is going to be the most time consuming to get it right.

I agree with the modular nature of the com at options. That said, I'd like to see them integrated and exchangeable such as your game might have different combat systems depending on current controller or whatever condition. Skies of Arcadia comes to mind with it's awesome active time turn based battles where the characters actually move around arena but you also have the tactical airship fights. Such a good game.

What I think would be really cool, but probably quite challenging and I don't know how much people would actually use it in actual gameplay, is real time combat swapping. By that I mean like maybe i'm running around smashing someone with my sword and casting my healing spell in an action adventure fight and then I press F8 or something and instantly my toon and the enemy freeze in place and my attack menu pops up for turn based fight. I see it like the Monkey Island remasters where you can swap between graphics. So cool. I think it would take a ton of planning, some abilities/ functions probably just couldnt be translated ans I dont know how much it would get used, but how cool.

There are several earlier messages in this thread I haven't got to read yet and I am too busy at the moment so I will get back to those soon. Man I am really excited about this asset. 3rd person controller was cool enough on its own but now with version 2, all of the updates to the Pixel Crusher Dialog System, and now your asset I basically have everything I need for my BioWare like epic.

It has been a while since I came to the forum to check here. I am really excited to see things are coming along.

I like the idea of having fishing too. It could be like a skill up and use it for crafting, maybe to make a better attack or whatever.

Posting a simple test version would be great too. It is wonderful to see this, I believe, will be one of the hottest sellers
in the store.

The Eliot-Ai forum, yesterday I think, he posted about the update is coming out soon, and Eliot-Ai will be integrated into
Opsive and a few other well-known controllers and also a couple of game kits I think, like GKC.

This tho is my dream team up, and I can not wait, so excited.

@TinyTree Thank you for all the hard work. About the combat states real time and turn based, to me both would be very cool,
but if it is giving a ton of trouble, If it was me I would release it then, work to update this. But in any case, I am looking forward to
being able to give you $$$ :)

P.S if you want to have test I'd be willing even tho I am just a hobby guy
with this and can't code, so I don't know how much help I would be.

@Mark thanks for all the feedback it always help. for the version to test it will be very feature stripped version just to get feed back on mechanics feature on how to remove the limitation people encounter

Hi, TinyTree, I'm very interested in your asset, especially how you handle inventories.
UCC has its own inventory but it's pretty limited. For example, you would have to create ItemType for each item and list them in ItemSetManager. There is no concept of Item categories to group them.

For a typical RPG game, there will 100s of items and listing them all in ItemSetManager would be out of the question.
Did you create your own Inventory system to bypass UCC? if not, how did you work around it?

I'm creating a shooter game and there will be weapon categories such as Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, and etc and I wish there is a way to handle categories where a certain item are grouped (equipped/unequipped) depends on categories.

I think RPG items also have categories and they can be equipped and unequipped together or separately depends on categories.

Thanks I'm looking forward to more info.

hi there,
each database ( races, classes, stats, items..) can have filters. so for the items which i have not implemented totally right now will have at least a per item type filter. I Do have my own inventory system, i plan to have an integration that just trigger weapon swap of UCC for example, thats only for weapons, other item will be using my own system

here is what i did this last month:
faction system: allow to define how groups stance toward each other, which is translated into neutral/friendly/enemy in targeting system.
totally rebuilds the database system to allow filtering and referencing with a Key instead of an ID, this make it possible to move entries without breaking references.
implemented a casting / invoking system, with lot of optional for interrupting:
Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 10.08.35 PM.png

What I am working on now is
-polishing animation system, i want to make it easier for people to replace their animations.
-sounds system was too restricted, i want the sounds to be directly defined into specific spot instead of being centralized into a database.
-more ability drivers: PBAOE, AOE around target, generic position driver ( for example spawn a pet in front of player)
- an FX system where you can define spawn position easily, like feets, hands, waist...
-more effect: Damage & Heal over time, teleporting, invoke items.
-implement the abilities into Opsive runtime mechanics, because right now i have no idea how to do that cleanly, i would like to use my own way of doing animation but the state machine built by Justin are very complex.

Last edited:
i still plan to release a quick test version, which will be split in two "runtime mechanics"
- action rpg version which plays like a diablo 3 games, because its pretty easy to do and do not need lot of animations ( do not need opsive)
- an opsive integration version which use third person controller and fps, there is no auto attacks but only abilities and extended weapons logic.

i cant say when right now because i will be moving to an other country this week for a new job, but when one or the other is polished enough i will post a zip file to test and get feedback from people.