New Unity Input System Integration

FullMe7alJacke7

I'm having trouble figuring out how to hook into the new unity input system.

I tried using the conditional IsMouseDown which is not getting triggered, I would imagine due to the changes they made in how the unity input events are handled.

I am attempting to hook into these via script and just send a message to the BT's Has Received Event instead but I can't seem to figure out how I would go about that.

I was thinking something along the lines of
Code:
 controls.Default_ActionMap.LeftClick.performed += context => behavior.SendEvent(controls.Default_ActionMap.LeftClick.name);

My question is how would I hook it up to register to the event, if that line will indeed work.

I would imagine to register to the event it is simply
Code:
 behavior.RegisterEvent<object>("LeftClick", myActionHere );

The idea was that this will be a behavior tree for how to handle input depending on game state as I handle multiple buttons that have multiple functionality depending on whats going on in the game.

EDIT: After more fiddling around this is what I currently have but I am getting StackOverflowExceptions.

Code:
        Action action = () => behavior.SendEvent(controls.Default_ActionMap.LeftClick.name);
        behavior.RegisterEvent("LeftClick", action);
        controls.Default_ActionMap.LeftClick.performed += context => action();

Last edited:
I haven't used the new input system yet but your last edit looks like it should work. What is the stack overflow?

Hello, sorry for the delayed reply!

So here is a screenshot of the console log.

The first error to show up says this.
StackOverflowException thrown during execution of 'Performed' callback on action 'Default_ActionMap/LeftClick[/Mouse/leftButton]'
UnityEngine.InputSystem.LowLevel.<>c__DisplayClass7_0:<set_onUpdate>b__0(NativeInputUpdateType, NativeInputEventBuffer*)
UnityEngineInternal.Input.NativeInputSystem:NotifyUpdate(NativeInputUpdateType, IntPtr) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/Input/Private/Input.cs:120)

The second error thrown says this. (Plus about 1000 more lines I didn't think would be necessary to show.)
StackOverflowException: The requested operation caused a stack overflow.
System.Environment.get_Is64BitProcess () (at <a8ed250850854b439cedc18931a314fe>:0)
System.String.EqualsHelper (System.String strA, System.String strB) (at <a8ed250850854b439cedc18931a314fe>:0)
System.String.Equals (System.String value) (at <a8ed250850854b439cedc18931a314fe>:0)
System.Collections.Generic.GenericEqualityComparer`1[T].Equals (T x, T y) (at <a8ed250850854b439cedc18931a314fe>:0)
System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue].FindEntry (TKey key) (at <a8ed250850854b439cedc18931a314fe>:0)
System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue].TryGetValue (TKey key, TValue& value) (at <a8ed250850854b439cedc18931a314fe>:0)
BehaviorDesigner.Runtime.Behavior.GetDelegate (System.String name, System.Type type) (at <8273d6b105784beab3b1f76a8d030c0c>:0)
BehaviorDesigner.Runtime.Behavior.SendEvent (System.String name) (at <8273d6b105784beab3b1f76a8d030c0c>:0)
InputListener+<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<Awake>b__0 () (at Assets/Phantom Dragon Studio/_Scenes/Demonstration/InputListener.cs:22)

It seems to be happening from line 22 according to the end of the second quote. The SendEvent line.

Code:
using System;
using System.Collections;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates;
using BehaviorDesigner.Runtime;
using UnityEngine;
using UnityEngine.Serialization;

public class InputListener : MonoBehaviour
{ 
    [SerializeField] private DefaultActions controls; 
    private BehaviorTree behavior;

private delegate void DoStuff();

void Awake()
    {
        controls = new DefaultActions();
        controls.Enable();
        behavior = this.GetComponent<BehaviorTree>();

Action action = () => behavior.SendEvent(controls.Default_ActionMap.LeftClick.name);
        behavior.RegisterEvent("LeftClick", action);
        controls.Default_ActionMap.LeftClick.performed += context => action();
    }

private void NewStuff()
    {
        print("Stuff");
    }

}

That almost seems like a bug in the new input system. It doesn't look like there are any calls that you are making that are repeating.