Moving Platform in Kinematic Rigibody

Hi Justin,

I have my own boats' controller that I can update in Fixed Update. It needs a Kinematic Rigibody.
Looking documentation at:
https://opsive.com/support/documentation/ultimate-character-controller/moving-platforms/

It seems reading that you need to add the Moving Platform component to your controller but reading the code it only updates the moving platform and I don't want that as I move my own boat.

I have just changed my layers on the boat to "MovingPlatform" and apparently it works (no need of Moving Platform component). So my question: Do I need any custom Moving Platform component to pass any info to the character controller or does it work without it?

EDIT:

I have created a custom "Moving Plataform" and basically update the Movement as you do and works fine:
Feedback: Its' not clear in the docs that you can use your own Kinematic controller, I think you should add a very easy template as this one so people can create their own controllers and avoid jittering.

I'm so happy that I can walk on the boat's deck while the boat is moving and VERY smoothly. I had to use 2 different controllers (one "normal" and one Kinematic) before to do so. Great work!

Code:
 private void UpdateRotation()
        {
            m_MoveRotation = BoatToCopyTransform.rotation;
        }

/// <summary>
        /// Applies the rotational movement to the Transform.
        /// </summary>
        private void ApplyRotation()
        {
            m_Transform.rotation = m_MoveRotation;
        }

/// <summary>
        /// Updates platform position according to the current movement interpolation mode.
        /// </summary>
        private void UpdatePosition()
        {
            m_MovePosition = BoatToCopyTransform.position;
        }

/// <summary>
        /// Applies the positional movement to the Transform.
        /// </summary>
        private void ApplyPosition()
        {
            m_Transform.position = m_MovePosition;

// Progress the move time and also store the updated metrics.
            //m_MoveTime += m_MovementSpeed * 0.01f * Time.fixedDeltaTime;
        }

Last edited:
Glad you were able to get it working! The docs are focused on the actual movement platform component, but creating a new ability as you saw as well is also a way to get it working.

yes sure, but that's not properly speaking an ability, is it? I have coded other abilities and the way to do it is different.