Mouse Sensitivity Framerate Dependence

nmaxey1234

I'm working on stabilizing my game for a range of framerates but what I am noticing is that my mouse sensitivity is tied to my framerate. When running some tests it takes twice as much mouse movement to do a 360 at 60 fps vs 120 fps.

Is there a solution out there to make the sensitivity framerate independent?

I am using the Unity Input System integration.
InputSettings.PNG

This is related to the character controller, correct? I'm moving the thread.

To answer your question though, make sure you are using a fixed update on the controller and are also running the latest version.

Have you tried the old input system in the demo scene of a fresh project? I haven't experienced what you are seeing with version 2.4.5. When I set the target framerate to 5 the camera turns at the same rate it does when the framerate is set to 60.

So after some more testing this is what I found.

On a build of my project
-120 and 5 fps rotate the same based on distance of mouse movement
-60 fps takes twice as much movement to rotate the character based on mouse movement

In Unity Editor for my project
- 60 and 120 fps match up sensitivity and framerate
- 5 fps is unusable in editor, not able to pull any data

On fresh demo project
- Something was perpetually locking the framerate to 60 fps and I could not alter it

Any thoughts on why it would be different in a build vs editor and why the difference in the middle framerate?

Using a fresh project is the best option so I can reproduce it. DemoManager.Awake sets the framerate and you can remove that line when doing your testing.

Alright so many days of pulling my hair out and reinstalling opsive and just about every other debug I could think of there was one obscure setting that needed to be changed.
InputSettings2.PNG

Under Input System Package Update mode needs to be on "Process Events In Dynamic Update" .

I had it in "Process Events In Fixed Update".

For whatever reason that seemed to clear it up.

Alright so many days of pulling my hair out and reinstalling opsive and just about every other debug I could think of there was one obscure setting that needed to be changed.
View attachment 8216

Under Input System Package Update mode needs to be on "Process Events In Dynamic Update" .

I had it in "Process Events In Fixed Update".

For whatever reason that seemed to clear it up.
oh, thanks, you helped me a lot! I also had strange freezing behavior with input and switching this setting was helping me)