Mirror Networking for UCC Add-on

chrisk

Hi, Matt, hope things are going well.
While waiting for the first testable version, one question popped into my mind.

I'm wondering how the Add-on will integrate into UCC? meaning, 1) Will the installation overwrite some parts of the UCC code? 2) Or Mirror's UCC modifications will be part of UCC and Mirror installation will just add extra files without any overwrites to UCC?

I'm asking this because patching UCC update is increasingly difficult as I made quite a bit of changes already and I hope I don't have to patch twice everytime UCC update.

Thanks and have a great day!

Matt

To answer those questions:

1) I am trying to make it as non-intrusive as possible. TPC1 had all the network code baked into the controller which made it really difficult to make it network agnostic. For now, I'm following the network API layer that is seen in the PUN add-on, with Mirror-specific scripts and proxy scripts (ie. NetworkBehaviour versions of various MonoBehaviour scripts).

I have talked to Justin and we've discussed some potential gotchas, so any patches we'll have for UCC will hopefully be merged upstream for him to review and commit to the code base for the next version of the UCC family of assets.

2) If you were to install Mirror now, the installation will just provide you the Mirror framework and not touch any other code. We do have something called the Mirror Weaver (UNET had this too) that will scan your CSharp files looking for Mirror-specific network code (like a hungry Pac-Man looking for tasty network code cherries). That thing is responsible for generating the IL code payloads for network classes to fire over the network.

In the case that Justin does not approve of a patch or a modification, we will definitely be doing a how-to for manual patching so something works as intended. If we didn't, and it had spasms in testing then that would be a major pain in the bum.

chrisk

Hi, Matt, thanks for the explanation. Addon such as Mirror that needs deep integration will always be difficult to integrate properly. I'm just hoping that you and Justin work out a reasonable solution that Mirror can integrate seamlessly.

I can't wait till I can test Mirror integration. Please keeps us in the know.

Cheers!

Matt

It's the moment you've been waiting for...

MIRROR NETWORKING FOR OPSIVE ULTIMATE CHARACTER CONTROLLER 2.1
CLOSED ALPHA TESTING PERIOD

Development on the Oiran Studio Mirror Networking add-on for Opsive's UCC has been coming along very smoothly (thanks to another partnered developer joining the add-on development team) and I am pleased to announce that we have a closed alpha test period coming up in September 2019. This closed alpha will run for a not-yet-determined time period.

How do I be part of the alpha test?
First come, first serve most likely. People who have expressed their interest in the past will be in line first. We will have a limited amount of slots open, which will allow us to concentrate our development time and efforts rather than having 500+ users filling up our inboxes with messages.

Will I get a copy of the add-on to test?
It is unlikely that you will get a copy of the add-on's source code at this time. But!

You will most likely get a built demo of the controller to play with. This demo may or may not have any weapons, but it will be more so a generic test to ensure movement, abilities and other things are being synchronized across the network correctly.

What are we testing exactly in this alpha test period?
Your task is to run around, attempt to break the network code and report bugs. That's pretty much the test's goal right now.

Okay, shut up and take my money! I want this! Pre-orders when?
If the alpha test is successful, I will try my best to implement a pre-order system. I don't want to take your money if I can't deliver the final product, that would just make us look scammy and unprofessional. We'll make something work out.

All alpha testers will get their names credited in the add-on's documentation as the Testing Squad. This ensures you get recognition for your efforts, since your time is valuable and we want to express our thanks for making the asset shine.

Your participation is essential for making this add-on the best it can be. Don't delay, register your interest today!

Krivasran

So do we just reply here to express interest?

Edit:
Wyrm#5464 on Discord. also let a thumbs up on the message.

Last edited:

Matt

Pretty much. Also leave your discord handle if you have one and I'll get in touch when we're getting ready for testing.

Matt

Alright, noted you guys down. Lots of attention going on with the discord post too; this looks like it's gonna be a big one...

Matt

Here's an update video.

Is that the hype train tooting in the background I hear?
Ignore the number of errors in the widget seen here, that's just debugging logs that help notify us of potential problems.