Knockback when damaged

RaeJjin0

I would like to setup a knockback system, which would make the player or enemy getting pushed away from the opponent.
I've setup everything i wanted, but now the battles seems a little too... static if i can say. The opponents don't move even with root motion since they're colliding on each others, and i had the idea of making the knockback when i saw this video :

This is like the characters could be pushed away dynamically by each others when colliding with weapons, like you would push a cube by only walking onto it.
I know where to place the script, in the Character Health component at onDamage event, but i am struggling with writting the code...
Could someone who knows anything about C# help me doing it ? I wanted to play with the character's rigidbody, making it being -1 when damaged, but someone told me that TPC/UCC doesn't use the rigidbody system, so i really don't know how to code it, i am not good at scripting and i don't know how to use Opsive's huge libraries on the Api section so...
It is entirely my fault for being an ignorant, that's why i am asking for help while i keep searching for a solution on the other side x)

Justin

Administrator
Staff member
This will require scripting but I recommend looking at the ability system:

You'll want to create a new ability that plays when there is damage (sort of similar to the damage visualization ability, except more extreme).

RaeJjin0

I know that i should make it a new ability or use the event system, but what i am asking for sir is a little help for the script. Isn't it possible to get some help to do the script ? Because Opsive's library is so huge that i wouldn't know what namespaces i should use, or even how exactly i can script a knockback for characters since the only way i knew was to make velocity of rigidbody being -1, but Opsive doesn't use rigidbody... So i am completely lost. Could someone help me doing the script, please ?

Justin

Administrator
Staff member
I am not able to help create custom scripts but I recommend taking a look at the existing documentation/abilities and using that as a base. You can still add velocity to a character using CharacterLocomotion.AddForce.

RaeJjin0

Thanks to your hint using CharacterLocomotion.AddForce and some more researches, i managed to do it using this :

C#:
C#:

using System.Collections;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using UnityEngine;
using Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Character.Abilities;
using Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Character.Abilities.Items;
using Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Game;
using Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Events;
using Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Input;
using Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.StateSystem;
using Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Utility;
using Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Character;

public class AddForceAnimationEvent : MonoBehaviour
{
    public float thrust;
    public UltimateCharacterLocomotion rb;

void Start()
    {
        rb = GetComponent<UltimateCharacterLocomotion>();
    }

public void ForceForwardEvent(string F)
    {
        rb.AddForce(transform.forward * thrust);
    }
}
This works like a charm, thank you for the tips Justin. I'll make a new topic for a last help and i'll stop bothering you, promises !

Last edited: