Item Setup: Arms and Item invisible in Game View

Chickenfield

Hi!
After only messing around with abilities so far, I've started playing around with items. After following the tutorials in a separate fresh project, I am now trying to set up my own weapon. I'm using UFPS v3.0.6 and Unity 2021.3.18f1.

I'm pretty much re-using the settings of the assault rifle with the demo-Atlas character for now: It goes to Slot 0, is two handed, has the same item category setup (currently using the demo collection for easier comparability until I'm comfortable with the setup), using the assault rifle animations (but assigned 19 instead of 1 for the Animator Item Id) and also re-using the same states for now.

Equipping the item seems to be working: It is visible in the Inventory script and shown as equipped (written in bold text), the expected animations are playing in the animator (created a sub tree for id 19, identical to the assault rifle), the items show up in the hierarchy under the FPS (layer Overlay) and TPS (layer SubCharacter) arms and at least the third person item is visible in the scene view.

But the arms and the weapon are not visible in the game view, as you can see in the screenshot:

I've been checking the Equip Unequip Item ability, but found nothing unusual. Any other hints as to where I might've messed up?

When you created your character did you add the separate first person arms model? By default this is what the Atlas character uses as well as what is used in the tutorials.

If you want to use the humanoid hands you can use the FPS Mesh Tool integration but when you're just getting started I would use all of the demo assets so you can follow along with the tutorials.

Thanks for the answer Justin. I used Atlas from the demo scene, and didn't add a separate first person arms model. I thought it would be handled by UCC if I created the item as an item prefab, so I left the First Person Base field in the Item Manager blank on creation. Should I have added arms in the First Person Base field?

Yes, that's correct. Atlas does use the first person arms from the character creation for the first person view.

In the tutorial (
) it is stated that the field can be left blank if you don't want to use specific arms, and later in the video the arms appear when using the item.
Sorry, I currently can't wrap my brain around that and have to ask again - please bear with me :) When creating the item as an item prefab, which can be applied to multiple characters, what arms do I assign? And how come the arms in the tutorial where appearing, if no arms are assigned?

That field can be left blank if you have the animations/models in order to support it. In that case it means having the arms attached to the weapon model instead of them being independent like they are with the demo assets.

When creating the item as an item prefab, which can be applied to multiple characters, what arms do I assign?
You will still create the first person arms like the tutorial, and just use a separate weapon. We actually do this in the demo scene - both Atlas and Rhea have their own arms but use the same weapon prefab.

And how come the arms in the tutorial where appearing, if no arms are assigned?
The First Person Perspective Item uses the base object ID to determine which arms to use on the character.

The First Person Perspective Item uses the base object ID to determine which arms to use on the character.
That makes sense - I now tried to do the same:
1677838704697.png

The screenshot is taken from the automatically spawned item which is located under Atlas/Items in the hierarchy. The item is also spawned under the assault rifle parent at runtime. So it seems to find both, the arms and the assault rifle parent. But the result is the same - both are invisble in game view, and the arms visible in scene view.

Thanks Justin, I found my mistake. In the tutorial video, you dragged it into the hierarchy, and dragged that into the item manager. I dragged in the model from the project view, which caused the described behaviour.
After looking it up I recall you helped me with that in the past already, but I forgot about it during my recent break from Unity (https://opsive.com/forum/index.php?threads/exception-when-creating-prefab-item.8628/) - so, thank you once again!