How to Keep Consistent Camera Distance?

How can I keep the camera at a consistent distance from my character? Moving forward is fine, but running back towards the camera results in the character being too close or out of view. Here is a video to demonstrate:

Thanks that has actually solved the problem. I just worry now there may be another problem that can only be fixed by increasing position smoothing. For example, will this effect moving up and down stairs? Currently my character can move up and down actual stairs nice and smooth without the use of a "ramp" collider and without the camera bouncing as it follows. Without position smoothing, will it start bouncing as the character moves on non-smooth geometry?
(I'm just guessing at what position smoothing actually does btw, so apologies if I'm wrong)

A position smoothing value of 0 will prevent any smoothing from being applied to the camera's position. Because no smoothing is applied it moves the camera to the target point immediately and that's why the character can't move into the camera anymore.

There isn't a way to set the minimum distance for the third person view type but I have added it to my list.