Holstering item's animation

bluebird

Hi Justin,

I tried with holstering a assault rifle, I successfully did it. After I noticed that when Nolan switched to assault rifle from other weapon, there will be an animation of picking weapon from behind will be played. But this animations doesn't play in case of other weapon. Let's say I set holster target for sniper rifle with reference to this guide:
https://opsive.com/support/document...er-controller/items/perspective/third-person/

It looks bad when Nolan directly takes a sniper rifle in hand and sniper rifle disabled immediately from his back. (animation of holstering is missing here)
Check attached screenshot for more details.

Can you tell me, how can I fix this?

Thanks

Attachments

• holstering 2 weapons.PNG
    holstering 2 weapons.PNG
    163.9 KB · Views: 3
The Pickup Item ability plays for the assault rifle - you'll want to make sure you have that ability added and it has the assault rifle item type specified.

If we don't add PickupItem ability into Nolan, hand animation still works for assault rifle. (ie. PickupItem ability isn't by default added when we create character from character manager)

In above image, you can see sniper rifle is at right shoulder and assault rifle on left shoulder. when I switched to sniper rifle, Nolan will pick up sniper rifle from right shoulder and when I switch to assault rifle, Nolan will take assault rifle from left shoulder.

The left/right pickups are related to the animations - we only have pickup animations for grabbing from the right shoulder.

Ah, that's related to the animation. Yesterday I misspoke and was referring to why Nolan doesn't pickup the assault rifle initially when you don't have it and that is because of the Pickup Item ability. When you are equipping the assault rifle the animation reaches for the character's back, unlike the other weapon equip animations.

In short, I want to add hand animation of picking up sniper rifle (or any weapon) from back. For now, it comes with only assault rifle.

You'll need to replace the equip (and unequip) animations within the animator in order to do that.

You'll need to replace the equip (and unequip) animations within the animator in order to do that.

Thanks, It worked :)

I opened Animator Controller,
Upperbody Layer> Sniper Rifle

I replaced animation clips:
SniperRifleEquipFromIdle with AssaultRifleEquipFromIdle
SniperRifleCrouchEquipFromIdle
with AssaultRifleCrouchEquipFromIdle

Thanks, It worked :)

I opened Animator Controller,
Upperbody Layer> Sniper Rifle

I replaced animation clips:
SniperRifleEquipFromIdle with AssaultRifleEquipFromIdle
SniperRifleCrouchEquipFromIdle
with AssaultRifleCrouchEquipFromIdle

View attachment 1335
In addition:

I just implemented holstering Sword/Katana over right shoulder, so used this same method replacing those same with all the 'AssaultRightEquip/Unequip' equivalents.

**In addition to this I noticed it didn't work while walking/running - so also had to do the same on the 'Arms' layer FYI.