Hang Ability

TryHarder

Hello,

In the hang ability I have two problems one is my Character wont transition to hang if i use 'Ability Start Location' it just sits hung and I can't do anything, any pointers greatly received.

Secondly if I don't use 'Ability Start Location' then the character hangs but he moves at 90 degrees to the beam in thin air instead of following the beam along, which must be a setting I have missed but I can't find it.

Nolan works just fine so I've copied his setting (well I thought I had) but I'm stuck.

Any pointers greatly received.

Thank you,

P.S. I'm using my character in the Ability Demo Scene so its the curved ledge that I'm trying to hang down from. My character works on the lower ledges almost ok accept he wont pull himself up like Nolan does.

Last edited:
In the hang ability I have two problems one is my Character wont transition to hang if i use 'Ability Start Location' it just sits hung and I can't do anything, any pointers greatly received.
Starting with this one, is the Move Towards ability active? Can you insert a breakpoint within the Update method to see if the character is trying to move?

Hello Justin, thank you for the reply,

So two hours later and I'm nearly there, I've started again three times but I'm pleased I understand more than I did when I started !

'Ability start location' can now be left on the curved ledge but.......

If I approach the curved ledge looking towards Boxing Joe in the Demo scene it all works wonderfully he climbs down and hangs like he should, if however I'm looking the wrong way lets say towards the crawl area then he climbs down and holds the wrong side of the ledge his body in the wall. its like the animation starts the wrong way around. I have to be square on looking over the edge of the ledge in the direction of Joe, anything other than square on and it all goes horribly wrong :(

Oh and I still cant pull up or drop down to the other ledges, I can only move left and right once hanging, and I have 'everything' ticked in 'Allowed Movements'

Thank you,

EDIT.... Just noticed something interesting Nolan doesn't seem to let you press 'F' to hang unless you are square on, that said if you set your view to 3rd person combat and back Nolan towards the ledge he drops down on 'F' mine plays the animation the wrong way round and I end up in the wall. :(

Last edited:
Ok so update.................... by adjusting the 'Ability start location' offsets I can now make sure my character climbs down ok, but now if he is backwards in 3P combat mode he ends up walking backwards off the ledge and keeps on walking backwards and I can't do anything to stop him....... Nolan drops himself down,

And I still cant pull up or drop down.

UPDATE

Ok so by altering the offsets in 'Hang' I can get him to pull up, but then he just keeps pulling up that is the animation runs on and doesnt stopand he gets higher and higher.

So clearly the offsets are what I need to tweak, I guess the two things left for me to understand are:-

1. How to stop him ever being able to hang from the wrong side of the ledge

2. How to stop the animations from never ending when he thinks he is still climbing up or dropping down.

Capture1.PNG

When the hang ability starts you should switch into the adventure movement/camera type. This should prevent the character from going backwards.

The transfer up animation determines that it is complete when the In Position Shimmy Distance is less than the distance from the character's location to the target. Try increasing this value to see if it helps.