Hang ability not detecting surfaces.

metalmanage

Hey,

So I'm having a bit of issues with the hang ability. Currently its working however it refuses to register some surfaces. I'm just using unity cubes to test with and it only works with half of them. My character can successfully move up 2-3 surfaces but if I make more the customcast will not detect them. Even if I copy ones that I know work and just move them up it still won't register them and I'm at a loss for what could be blocking it. Should I move to a different casting method?

When transferring between ledges hang does not use the casting methods - it has its own internal casts. The best way to debug this is to place a breakpoint within Hang.Update. If you are transferring between objects the DetermineNextHangObject method will return and it sounds like it is within this method a cast is failing that you'd expect it to succeed. You can also enable Draw Debug Lines to visualize where these casts are performed:

Sorry I'm not too sure how to do that, I'm a novice when it comes to code as I rely on visual scripting. I do have debug lines enabled and it appears to be working normally. It detects the objects I can interact with but seems to ignore some. I really can't understand what I'm doing wrong.

I created a brand new scene and character and same result. Haven't touched any settings and used the default Nolan character model. I did notice however that if I set my Maximum Start Offest (Y Axis) to anything other than 2 when connecting the first ledge it would reset back and I can't detect anything. I'm not sure if this is intended to occur or not.

If everything is working as intended perhaps a tutorial or write up could help as it does appear to be a complex and versatile tool. Showing how to set up a character and explaining some basic troubleshooting could help the novices (hi) understand it a bit better.

Also it appears the hands of the character follow the IK movements of the head, I'm not sure what's causing that.

I created a brand new scene and character and same result. Haven't touched any settings and used the default Nolan character model. I did notice however that if I set my Maximum Start Offest (Y Axis) to anything other than 2 when connecting the first ledge it would reset back and I can't detect anything. I'm not sure if this is intended to occur or not.
There shouldn't be anything special about the 2 value. If you can tell me how to reproduce it within a scene or send me the scene itself I can take a look.

Also it appears the hands of the character follow the IK movements of the head, I'm not sure what's causing that.
You can use the state system to adjust the hand IK weight when Hang is active.

I've just created a brand new project with the Third person controller instead of utps so I'll post back my results if its working