Global Variables panel doesn't update while not in focus?

JasonT

I have the Global Variables docked as a tab and it would be great to see a live view of current states. Right now it only updates if I scroll the window or drag the floating window around. Is this a normal condition of the Global Variables panel?

This is normal to prevent the global variables window from refreshing every tick which would reduce the speed of the editor. It would be relatively easy to add a callback so the editor only updates when there is a change on the variable, but if you have something like a float that updates every tick then that will really bog down performance so I'm not sure it is such a good idea.

Ah got it. makes sense

I guess in a perfect world it would be an option in the window preferences (live view on/off) I’ve often discovered bugs I didn’t know I had by pausing the player and looking at the states of global variables. So in those cases a running tree isn’t even visible.

I haven't gotten this far yet but I am hoping that with version 2 and UIElements it'll help solve this problem. I don't know what the update rate looks like with that but I am actually getting to drawing fields this week so I should know soon.