Getting the tactical pack tasks to work on a 2D topdown game

jcmr

Howdy,

As indicated in the title, I'm trying to figure out a way to make the tactical pack tasks to work on a 2D topdown game. I've been looking around but I saw no one asking this question, and I can't figure out a simple way to do it myself, if there is one.

I tried editing the scripts to prevent the object from rotating but that seems to just break everything, so now I'm considering whether to look into how to edit the scripts further to make it work, or if the way they work is too dependant on the object's rotation, to try to make my own 2D versions of these classes from scratch. Maybe look into a way to make only the NavMesh Agent rotate, but I'm afraid of such a system causing issues later on.

Thoughts?

Right now it'll take some modifications in order to add 2D support to the Tactical Pack. As you mentioned, there haven't been many posts on this subject so I never thought about it until now. I can take a look at adding support for a future release though I don't have an ETA.

That'd be very useful for the project I'm working on, however I assume it wouldn't be ready in one month which is close to the deadline for the demo, in which case, which of the things I mentioned do you think would be worth looking into the most to try to adapt it myself?

The behaviors I would need to adapt are the basic Attack (in melee, though for what I saw that is very simple to change) and a variation of Surround where after surrounding the player the enemies randomly dash in one by one and melee the player before retreating back to their position in the surround.

Unfortunately it likely won't be within the next month. You're right though in that the biggest obstacle is rotation. When the task tries to attack it first determines if it can attack, and for that it does a rotation check. You can't explicitly tell the NavMeshAgent to rotate a certain direction but what you can do is after the agent is in position you move them towards the desired direction.

I'll work on trying to adapt the scripts myself then in the meantime, it would still be useful if you could add 2D support for later on, I could use it to replace these adaptations since I doubt they'll work as well. Thanks for the tips anyway!