Force Root Motion Position not affecting behavior

Earlier I was changing the "force root motion position" under Melee weapon script to make sure that the character would not move forward during attack. Now when I turn it off, it does not seem to have any effect, and the character moves towards the enemy because of the root motion of the animation regardless. I tried this with Nolan, and he also steps forward still when the box is unchecked. Any idea what else might be affecting this behavior? Do I need to replicate the animation and adjust the animation's root settings?

Make sure you also disable root motion on the character - as a test when I did this the character didn't move forward.

It did work when I turned off the character locomotion root motion. However, now the character can still move around with full body sword attack motion. How can I make him be able to walk while swinging the sword? In TPC I was able to do this by appointing the animator layers from the component. I tried to disable the animation from the full body layer, and also tried to change the full body layer to upper body layer. The latter attempt gave the desired result, however, then other animations in that layer become broken.