First Person Melee/Sword arms bad

Vlaxep

Hi,

Just trying to solve terrible looking first person arms with a Sword.

Looking at Opsive demo scenes Nolans First Person Arms for melee/sword are nicely place and behave well.

My Character has for some reason a lot more rotation in the shoulders and the left shoulder and arms get right in the way of the camera.

The demo seems to have the FirstPerson arms rotation more 'square', whilst in scene view you can clearly see the Third person body rotates the shoulders around 60 degrees with melee equipped.

My Character's first person arms do not stay 'squared' like Nolan, but they seem to follow the 3rd person extreme rotation which is what causes the left shoulder/arm to be in the way.
FYI I'm using 'both' view modes.

Have tried messing around with the FirstPerson offsets positionally and rotationally, and followed Video tutorial also. I feel like it's an animator issue, or IK, but I'm not great with either of those functions to be able to tell.

See attached Pics for comparison

Pic 1 (Opsive Melee (BD) demo)
Pic 2 Comparison of mine vs opsive

OpsiveFirstPersonSword.png

1638840735786.png

Also I have the 'Sword' state set in the Sword ItemSet
and the 'MeleeCharacterIKPreset' on the characterIk Component with the name 'Sword'

(confirmed 'active' at runtime too)

Last edited:
Ok Think I've discovered the problem in the documentation it says in relation to FPS Mesh tool:

• Cannot have unique first person animations, for extra detail while the camera is closer to the first person weapon

So Justin do you know if there is a simple way to create the equivalent First Person arms with the Synty rigs for match Nolan's arms to use the inbuilt Opsive animations?

The issue you described in your last post is accurate.
So Justin do you know if there is a simple way to create the equivalent First Person arms with the Synty rigs for match Nolan's arms to use the inbuilt Opsive animations?
No, unfortunately I do not know of a way as this is a restriction of the generic animator.