FinalIK integration + Jumping with Update setting

Shizof

Hello, I'm trying to integrate FinalIK to UCC.

FinalIK integration requires Update setting, but that causes severe issues like camera stuttering and causing Jumping to fail randomly. Fixed Update fixes the Jumping and the camera stuttering issues and I can't find any setting to make it work as well as Fixed Update while it's set to Update.

Is there no way to make FinalIK integration to work with Fixed Update? I'm going to either get rid of FinalIK or UCC at this point.

FinalIK does require the Update loop in order to make the integration work. I haven't seen the stuttering or jumps to fail randomly in update though - can you reproduce it without FinalIK as a test? The demo scene uses the update loop so that's a good test location.

Yes, Update setting causes camera stuttering and Jump to fail without FinalIK.
I only added FinalIK today. Using Update setting caused those issues before that as well. Thankfully switching to Fixed Update fixed those issues.

Camera stuttering is like a 1 frame position switch when changing animations like crouching or standing up.

Jump issue is visible in the animator parameters. While using Update, AbilityIndex switches directly from 0 to 2 just barely showing 1 in between sometimes. But it's beautifully separated waits between 0-1-2 while using Fixed Update.

Does the demo scene work correctly for you? Can you reproduce it without FinalIK? FinalIK does not affect those settings. This sounds like a lag issue - if you open the profiler you should see what is causing the bottleneck.

FinalIK is only relevant because it forces Update.
I tested the demo scene again to be sure, and yes, there is no problem in Demo scene with either Update or Fixed Update.

I opened profiler on both Demo scene and my scene and couldn't find anything relevant. Demo scene runs worse than mine. Demo scene runs at ~80fps and my scene runs at ~144 fps, both limited by 144 from the code. Everything is smooth in my scene except that Jump abilityindex issue and the camera up down stutter on animation change.

If you don't use FinalIK does everything run smoothly in your own scene while in Update?

As I said, FinalIK is not relevant.

I just removed FinalIK components and the bridge from the player to test it again before commenting.

Update Location Set to:

Update: Causes Jump to fail 3 out of 5 times and the movement is different each time. Small up/down movement in Camera position while crouching and standing up.
Fixed Update: Jump is successful 5 out of 5 times and the movement is the same each time. No up/down movement in Camera position while crouching or standing up.

So it is the update location. I am not sure why your scene is different than the demo scene especially if the demo scene runs at a lower framerate. I will need to take a closer look at this - are you able to send a repro project to support@opsive.com? I can take a look at it Monday.

The FinalIK integration requires Update.