Final IK Bridge & Update 2.1.4 Problem?

Before this update I had Final IK working perfectly. After the update though, I'm experiencing some major jerky/glitching with my character at certain moments, like some extreme jitter problem or something. After disabling the Final IK bridge script the glitching stopped so I think it's definitely related to that in some way.

Note that this is a lot more noticeable when having the character selected during gameplay (in case you are having trouble recreating it).

Yes.
It can easily be recreated on Nolan in the demo scene, ruling out any cause related to my custom character.
It's a strange, continual glitching, like it's struggling to update or something.

Hmm.. in my test scene it is working without any jitter. Did you make sure to assign the smooth bones?

Yes. In fact the smoothed bones were assigned automatically by default.
To test, remember to have your character selected in the scene, this seems to make it a lot more jittery for some reason. I can record a video if you like.

This is in Unity 2018.3.14 by the way.

Can you send me a repro scene? I've been trying to reproduce the jitter but haven't been able to.

Thanks - it doesn't look like the script execution order for your FinalIKBridge is set correctly. It should be set to execute before the KinematicObjectManager, in the integration I set it to -8. I just did a fresh import of the integration and it was correctly set so I'm not sure how yours got reset.

Thanks - it doesn't look like the script execution order for your FinalIKBridge is set correctly. It should be set to execute before the KinematicObjectManager, in the integration I set it to -8. I just did a fresh import of the integration and it was correctly set so I'm not sure how yours got reset.

It looks like it is set correctly though:

Hmm, can you send me just the scene? When I pulled in your package the script execution order wasn't set, and the character wasn't created either.

I'm out of town on a work trip and don't have access to my project, but I happened to spot this thread and wanted to add that I've also noticed jitter with the new version of the FinalIK Bridge. Also, when my characters stand idle, their feet are spread apart but their knees are together, as if badly needing to use the bathroom :) Am just using Synty Polygon characters.

I can check it out when I'm back in town and provide details.

I've been digging into this and it looks like there will be some jitter with FinalIK when the framerate is lower than the FixedUpdate interval. I'll see if I can get the smoothed bones working but for now if you just remove all of the smooth bones under the Ultimate Character Locomotion component it should work.

Hi Justin were you able to Fix the Final IK issue? Removing Smoothed Bones does not solve it properly unfortunately. It must be possible, since you had it working pretty great in the earlier version.

Hi @Justin

We have been using Ultimate Character Controller for a couple of months. We're having some issues with the Final IK Bridge integration. Similar to the people who posted above our project now has sudden drops in the frame rate, from 30+ or 60+ to single digits.

Before using UCC, Final IK worked very well with no drops in performance.

Do you have any suggestions? Our script execution order was already configured as described above and removing the "smooth bones" list from the Character Locomotion component did not help.

Be great if you could help us figure out how get a smooth frame rate while using Final IK as we intend to make a pitch trailer in a few weeks to send to publishers.

Here are some screenshots from the Unity Profiler tool, both before and after the performance drops.
Smooth frame rate:

Single digit frame rate:

Thanks,
Shaz

Last edited:
Just to add some more info to my last post, if you disable the Final IK Bridge component, you no longer see the large CPU spikes caused by the Physics.CapsuleCast calls that UCC makes.

Can you deep profile and figure out what method is causing the bottleneck? The FinalIK integration was also updated recently so make sure you get the latest (and are running version 2.1.6).

The FinalIK bridge component really doesn't do much besides tell FinalIK when to update.

Can you deep profile and figure out what method is causing the bottleneck? The FinalIK integration was also updated recently so make sure you get the latest (and are running version 2.1.6).

The FinalIK bridge component really doesn't do much besides tell FinalIK when to update.

Good news! We updated to the latest version, 2.17, and also re-downloaded the Final IK Bridge component in case it was updated and now we have a smooth frame rate and no glitches on the character model.

Cheers!

It seems I spoke a little too soon. The frame rate drop issue no longer happens which is a relief. But we do sometimes get a "hiccup" on the player model. Either the upper body or leg can have a "spasm" where it shifts out of place momentarily. @Justin I've added your support email to a private Youtube vid so you can view it. It's private as the game is work in progress and not public at all. If you could offer some advice on how to fix this issue I'd appreciate it. Maybe this is something other users have encountered?

Just to clarify, this is again related to the Final IK integration in UCC. I checked older builds where we had Final IK but had not yet imported UCC and there where no hiccups.

Thanks,
Shaz

Last edited:
The opsive support address does not have a YouTube account, but have you tried profiling to see if you are hitting a bottleneck? You can also upload your video to streamable and send the link.