Expanding Preset System to Property Augment System

chrisk

Hi, Justin,

The State system with Preset System is probably the most unique system in UCC and if it's used right, it can be very powerful.

Besides the current capability, I think there is another really good use-case, that is, I call it, Property Augment system.

Here is the explanation.

In a typical Items setup, you have a base Item, a base gun for an example. And you add attachments to the base gun, for example, a silencer.
The silencer reduces Firing Noise but then it also reduces Damage and adds Weight to the item.

You will create a Preset and add to the silencer.
When you attach the silencer, you will apply preset values to the base gun object.
It will add/subtract property values from the base gun, and when you detach the silencer, you will do the opposite.
I think you will get the idea.

I this case, you want the Preset to add or subtract to the base value instead of replacing it.

I think the current Preset system is almost there to support Augment System but it can make UCC even more unique

What do you think?

Thanks.

Last edited:
This is an interesting idea. So there are two parts to this:

When you attach the silencer, you will apply preset values to the base gun object.
And
It will add/subtract property values from the base gun, and when you detach the silencer, you will do the opposite.

The first one would be harder to do than the second. The preset system only works on the object that it is added to, and I'm not sure what the interface would look like if you can have the values applied to another object. You could of course apply the values manually to the silencer's property that affect the base gun object.

The silencer will have the Augmented Preset but the preset needs to apply to the gun during runtime since does not know which object to apply at authoring time.

And the gun will need to have a State-like variable to keep all the Augmented Presets.
And when you add or remove the preset to the variable, it will apply the modified values.

It is almost doable but the current preset only replaces the current value. We will need a new class, AugmentedPreset or AdditivePreset that will add/subtract from the target.

I gave a gun as an example but this system can be used in quite make areas; any weapon, character equipments and etc.

Since you have the hard part figured out already in State, why not expand it other than just State.

I hope it clarifies bit more. ^^

The augmented part would be no problem, the part that I don't know of a good UI for is applying the state value to another object. Or was this the part that you'd have to determine at runtime (meaning, through the silencer's property)?