Every time I open Unity (and a project trying to open Swimming Demo), screens are turquoise...

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help identify what a problem is I'm having?

I'm trying to open The Add On Swimming Demo scene in a brand new Project (I set it up yesterday and it was working perfectly) and both my scene screen and Game screen are turquoise. I don't know what's causing it.

Here's a screen shot...

Swimpack scene Locked.jpg

Nearly everything feels locked as in I can't click on anything in the hierarchy, I can click on Project settings but once that window opens I can't select anything.
I've tried reinstalling Unity. (I'm using version 2019.4.12f1).

I opened the Swimming Project I made as I want to learn how it all works etc but after reinstalling it was the same situation. I then open another project where I'm using Opsive stuff and it looks like this...

My project locked.jpg

I had this last night with my own project and reinstalled Unity (I've reinstalled Unity so many times). I turned Auto Generate lighting off as I thought it was Baking or doing something under the hood so to speak. Perhaps it's my computer? I'm using a 12 core Mac Pro 6,1.

Any help to understand the problem would be fantastic because I literally can't do anything in Unity and I can't fix anything if I don't know what the issue is.

Many thanks

Jono

I have seen this with newer Unity versions but it always goes away right after hitting play. Unfortunately I don't know the cause - I would try posting on Unity's forums to see if anybody there has an idea. Make sure you post back here because I am interested as well :)

I have seen this with newer Unity versions but it always goes away right after hitting play. Unfortunately I don't know the cause - I would try posting on Unity's forums to see if anybody there has an idea. Make sure you post back here because I am interested as well :)

Yeah I posted on the Unity Forums yesterday but haven't had a response yet. When I do I shall be sure to post anything about it here. To be honest, if you don't know what the cause is, I doubt many other people will!

As a test, after writing the above post, I left Unity open when I went to sleep. Just in case it was doing something in the background. When I woke, it was still Turquoise. So I closed Unity, reopened and now the project looks fine and how it should. It's strange behaviour to say the least.

Unfortunately when this goes on for such a length of time, it seems more likely to be a hardware rendering issue than anything specific to UCC or even Unity... but do let us know if you get an answer from the Unity forums.

Unfortunately when this goes on for such a length of time, it seems more likely to be a hardware rendering issue than anything specific to UCC or even Unity... but do let us know if you get an answer from the Unity forums.

That's what I think too. I am so new to Unity that I am currently using my Mac Pro that I use for Audio Production (I have 3 x 12 core Macs each with 128gb of RAM and networked to utilise every core and have super fast performance... but this is for audio and the GFX side of things is a little pathetic to be honest. GFX work is a totally different beast and I'm just waiting for the new AMD chips to be released and I'm going to invest in a custom made PC (16 core minimum) with a good GFX card because I just have a feeling the Mac Pro 6,1 Trash Can just isn't up for the task.

But then again it could be just one setting in Unity that's killing the machine. Hard to know with this kind of stuff! ?

Macs from the last few years can run Unity pretty well, but that one is pretty old and probably struggles with some modern rendering stuff. I guess see if your GPU supports high enough DX or something

My set-up with 2019 LTS does this too, but it goes away when I press play. Oddly, the blue stuff gets rendered before any post-processing effects.

I now no longer have this problem at all. And the fix for it, (of which nobody I have spoken to has given a reason nor knows what has caused it) is to complete erase all traces of unity. Not just uninstall all versions, but also use an app called Clean My Mac. Repair persons, disk permissions, delete anything and everything unnecessary. Since doing this (and believe me, I spent about 3 weeks dealing with this), Unity starts first time and instantly works. I'm not using HDRP and the Mac Pro may be a little old now but it can certainly handle running a small project. Before it wouldn't even open an empty project or a demo project supplied with Unity.

Something else I did, was, only install OSX and Windows build packages when cleanly installing after doing all that. Before I had a few things installed.

Anyway, I hope this never happens to anybody as it's so frustrating. I literally spent 7hrs one day just trying to open a project.

It really was frustrating and such a waste of time. Well, I actually started learning a lot more about Unity so I guess it wasn’t a waste of time. Just infuriating. The worst thing about these kinds of problems is not actually having a definitive answer to the problem.

Anyway, this thread can be marked as solved.

And back to other problems... like walking down stairs ?