Evade task does not know how to escape from corner and gets stuck

evade-stuck-corner.PNG

Evade task always gets stuck in the corner. I've tried tweaking the settings but result is the same.
The red dotted line shows the direction navigation agent is trying to take..?
Evade task needs some improvement?

Yeah.. this is a problem with evade. Do you have any recommendations for what you'd like it to do if it can't move? I guess return failure?

I noticed that Movement pack tasks support A* Pathfinding Project? At the moment I don't have A* but could it help with this problem?

I've made a note of this. The A* task functions similarly - it doesn't return failure if it gets stuck. This would be a pretty small change within the task though to determine if the velocity is 0 for more than a set amount of time. I will include it in the next update.

Okay thanks. What comes to my mind is that it is the attacker that actually controls what direction the target object can try to evade. Could the Evade task be improved so that it would try to find a navigable direction on user controllable area, "field of evade angle" and maybe with adjustable randomization too? I suppose Wander -task is using randomization and tests if the position is reachable?

Last edited:
I tested this a little bit and actually Wander -task works better for evading than the current Evade -task. It does not seem to get stuck. Only improvement what I'd suggest is that Wander task should have adjustable angle because without it it sometimes moves to the direction of the attacker (see the drawing).

The wander task does continue to select new locations so that does help with this situation. I'll take your suggestions into account when I update the asset.